Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SAPBO - Staffordshire Area Phonostage Bakeoff.

I'm John.

I might be up for this depending on the date. Could bring my Trichord Dino II if anyone's interested in hearing it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Joe.

'System used will likely be selected from the following components' - doesn't say to me that it's finalised.

Listen, I'm only interested how a bake-off is developed because I wouldn't have the first clue how to satisfy a vast array of owners and equipment. It looks to me that you need to liaise with some veterans of the bake-off to make it a success; they will no doubt be able to advise you.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    'System used will likely be selected from the following components' - doesn't say to me that it's finalised.

Listen, I'm only interested how a bake-off is developed because I wouldn't have the first clue how to satisfy a vast array of owners and equipment. It looks to me that you need to liaise with some veterans of the bake-off to make it a success; they will no doubt be able to advise you.
    You insinuate I haven't?

For any bake off a system must be used to wring the best out of the component you want to "Bake-Off" whilst there will be debate about amps, cartridges, speakers etc, there can be no debate about the Turntable being one of the finest DD TTs ever made.

The system is as flexible as I am and if someone has something that's better than anything listed in the "likely system" then I'm open to using it.

Nothing is finalised and I asking our membership for their input by suggesting that anyone who has anything better or exotic,that wants to attend and contribute a component to the "system" should bring it.

The one thing that must be "fixed" is that once the system has been finalised on the day, it remains intact for the duration of the Bakeoff for continuity and fairness.

Not sure how else you could go about setting a bake off up other than offering your own equipment until better is offered? Unless you owned the best stuff money could buy in the first place.

For instance, if Marco wishes to attend and brought his Valve amps, well, they'd be finalised now id have thought.

You're never going to satisfy all the members. For instance again, I went to a bakeoff which used Yammy NS1000m. I loved them, other didn't BUT that's the deal. Can't make everyone happy.

Bigman80 Guest

Absolutely! Bring it with you if the date suits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    I might be up for this depending on the date. Could bring my Trichord Dino II if anyone's interested in hearing it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Joe.

Fire away then. As I said, I have no experience of how to arrange a bake-off.

Bigman80 Guest

Fire away then. As I said, I have no experience of how to arrange a bake-off.
    Get involved then! No harm having extra hands on deck.

I'm Joe.

I might do one day, but I'd be interested in hearing as many as humanly possible - entries from all manufacturers (professional and garden shed).

Bigman80 Guest

I might do one day, but I'd be interested in hearing as many as humanly possible - entries from all manufacturers (professional and garden shed).
    No worries. Set one up and you can do whatever your heart desires. Us garden shed phono stage builders love a bake off

I'm Joe.

Wow, hats off to you if you have built your own phono stage. It takes real skill to get it right - there are so many mediocre (or worse) efforts out there.

I'm Alan.

One thing that also needs continuity is the loading presented to the cartridge.
    I believe Oli uses 220 ohm loading, that's fine for stages that are adjustable and have that particular choice fitted, or stages that use loading plugs that can be used.

If it turns out there are some stages that have, for instance, fixed 100 ohm loading then all adjustable stages need to be set to that.
    Or the decision made that 100 ohm is the de-facto standard.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast