+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grille re-covering

I'm inactive.

Default Grille re-covering

I recently acquired a pair of Quad 22L floor standers that were going locally via ebay auction (£206 bid).
    They are in fine nick with only a couple of very minor marks. The finish if Bird's Eye Maple which I was really chuffed with as I like light coloured wood.
    Only thing I didn't like were the black grilles so I decided to refurb them in something more turd coloured to match the plethora of wood in my listening room.

Initially I thought the frames were plastic which bothered me as, although I have a lot of relevant upholstery experience, I have never fitted material to plastic frames. Fortunately closer examination revealed that they were actually heavily coated MDF - so panic over
    Even better, when I finally got around to tackling the job (staple gun in hand...) I discovered they had used a rather neat method for fastening the covering; about 10mm in from the edge is a groove running around the back of the frame and the material was simply pressed into it:

old corner by miktec101, on Flickr

So removing it was simply a case of pulling it out of the groove:

old remove by miktec101, on Flickr
    Last edited by mikmas; 28-04-2018 at 13:35.

I'm inactive.

I had envisaged some coffee coloured material for the re-covering. Initial searches of local (UK) suppliers only yielded chocolate brown, which for me was too dark and not much better than black. I eventually found a decent colour via a German trader on Amazon and ordered a piece.

Unfortunately online colours can deceive and when it arrived it turned out to be a delicate hue akin to cat diarrhoea

In the end I opted for cotton/linen scrim sourced locally. Scrim used to be fairly common in upholstery applications and has the advantage of being A. naturally coloured and B. very open weave (and acoustically transparent)

Fitting it was simply a case of cutting approximately to size and wedging into the groove with a filling knife:

new fit02 by miktec101, on Flickr

new fit by miktec101, on Flickr

I'm inactive.

Once the scrim was fitted a simple case of trimming of the excess with scissors and then pushing the badge back on the front.

new trim by miktec101, on Flickr

All in all, a couple of hours total; a before and after to show the difference:

Quad 22L grille re-cover by miktec101, on Flickr

I'm Grant.

looks good
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Nice job Mike. Smart choice of material too.

(might even pinch that idea for one of my projects )

I'm Gary.

Really useful post! Thanks.

I'm inactive.

Cheers chaps

Was mightily glad that the solution was so simple - so much so that I'm now doubting it will hold up

Will see how it fares and if the scrim slackens can always apply a few judicious dabs of glue.

(was quite fun taking some pics of the process - filled in a dull and rainy morning anyway...)

I'm Chris.

In my experience that material sheds quite a lot of fibres around the cut edges. I would be inclined to cover it in tape to avoid bits finding their way into the drivers
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    In my experience that material sheds quite a lot of fibres around the cut edges. I would be inclined to cover it in tape to avoid bits finding their way into the drivers
    Thanks for the tip Chris - will do that

I'm Ken.

Good job!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast