+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Preamp with specific specs

I'm Geoff.

Default Preamp with specific specs

I am currently using a Cambridge CXN AND an RPi/Digione as my digital front end. I have been using Volumio for streaming with the software volume control enabled. However, I suspect that this does not produce optimal sound quality. I am therefore considering using a preamp for the first time in years (other than a phono preamp that is).

However, my requirements, if I go this way, are very specific (possibly unattainable). They are:

a) minimum of two inputs
    b) ideally, both rca and xlr inputs and outputs
    c) stepped volume attenuator
    d) remote control

Is there anything out there that meets these requirements?

Geoff

I'm David.

I think your best bet is to give Hi Fi Collective a ring (01908 635953) - you should be able to build up one of their Glasshouse passive kits to suit. They may also be able to build it for you. Your big problem will be deciding which of the many resistor choices to use. For switches I think you will have to go with Elma as they have a motorised option.

David Whistance

I'm Geoff.

This looks like one odd Venn Diagram!

I'm James.

I see nothing in Sherwod's list to suggest he wants a passive pre, though it makes sense if there's gain enough? Personally I'd stick with the digital volume if there is any in the CXN or DigiOne (never used either), but if not then Khozmo make remote controlled stepped attenuators. Their non-remote controlled ones are completely transparent to my ears. I'd suggest a buffer stage between the attenuator and the power amp to avoid any incompatibilities.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I am currently using a Cambridge CXN AND an RPi/Digione as my digital front end. I have been using Volumio for streaming with the software volume control enabled. However, I suspect that this does not produce optimal sound quality. I am therefore considering using a preamp for the first time in years (other than a phono preamp that is).
    Maybe I'm being thick but why don't you run the RPi through the CXN ... that way you can disable software volume control on the RPi, run it at max volume and use the CXN remote control as master volume.

I'm Geoff.

Good question. Simple answer is that the Rpi/Digione is better in terms of SQ than the CXN. The CXN is very good in terms of streaming Tidal.

Geoff

I'm Phil.

music first audio will make you one of those with a remote

i had one retro fitted too
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm richard.

Hi. Have you looked at the Schiit Freya? It's the only preamp I'm aware of that comes nearest your requirements - reason being is that I'm interested in the Saga. Lots on the web, very versatile and u can tube roll if that's yr thing.
    Regards Richard

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Cambridge Audio made a pre, the 851 that might be ideal, I think you'd have to look for second hand though as it's been discontinued.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Simon.

Just get a balanced pre and use rca to xlr if required.

https://www.vicol-audio.com/maya.php

Does what you require.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

+ Reply to Thread