+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted - full range 8" drivers

I'm Martin.

Default Wanted - full range 8" drivers

Still looking - though initially going to try the Coral 8" in the front and the Hemp Acoustics FR8C in the rear. Martin

I'm phil.

Have you looked at mark audio alpair range, really good especially in the super pencil 12 cabinet,
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Martin.

Hi Phil, I have been tempted to use the Markaudio Alpair 12P on a front loaded TL/horn that I have designed with a flared trumpet. Currently saving up for the £1000 for the material/ 3D CNC costs. 70kg a speaker + the driver. The 12P is good match in my instance and a cracking price. Martin

I'm Geoff.

Have you ever see these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Cao-alnic....c100005.m1851

They have been used in horn systems.

I'm phil.

Hi Martin, my advise is to put the money your going to spend towards your ultimate goal that way you reach it quicker, they are very good drivers, I'm just ordering new boxes for mine as I'm pretty sure these will be my main speakers for many years to come.
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Mauro.

I'm Simon.

I almost didn't buy my speakers as I was rather underwhelmed but given a very nice seller and if you don't like them, I'll have them back, gave it go.
    Thought I'd made a mistake but then realised that 3 watts on breadboard built amp had probably never ran the Sigmas in.
    Tied to 30 watt Audiopax monoblocks and a couple of REL subwoofers, I doubt very much if I will ever replace them! Very fortunate as I had almost decided to keep a 6.5K pair of well known speakers I had on extended loan:-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post

.......Personally, I'm not convinced by the "full-range" driver concept. It's simply asking too much of a single driver. The concept seems to be very appealing to the DIY community but I wonder if that's mainly due to many DIYer's inability to design a crossover.
    I wouldn't mind having a dabble at the price of the Visaton drivers, but I wouldn't want to chuck £700 at drivers that could be bettered by a cheap bass/mid + cheap tweeter.
    Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree.
    Hi Andrew,
    Yep, others will disagree
    I've owned a number of respectable speakers over the years including several Proac Response and Dynaudio contour models but I wouldn't swap any of them for my twin Jordan Eikona DCR's. Sure, the "concept" is appealing to the DIY community given the relative simple build but one of the main reasons for using full range drivers is the lack of a crossover, not the inability to build one. With no crossover there is an immediacy to the sound that I've not heard with any other speaker and there is certainly no lack of top or bottom that is sometimes suggested as a criticism of full rangers. I've also built speakers using the Alpair drivers (7p,10p, and 12p) and they all sounded good although in my opinion the Eikonas are in a different league. If ever you get down this way you are more than welcome to come and have a listen to see if reality is better than concept

Mark of Ming Da UK visited recently and made this comment on another forum after his visit. (His normal speakers are very big, very expensive and have plenty of drivers)

First question I asked myself, how on earth do these work?i
    Answer..quite staggeringly well actually!
    With full range speakers one expects some top end roll off and due in part to the the small cone size, a lack of bass..Well neither was obvious at all....
    The cabinets are beautifully made, giving an elegant style.....
    We listened to everything from delicate female vocals through to some of the hard stuff and to be honest, nothing seemed to phase them(no pun intended)..
    There is a sweet treble with no metallic hardness.. The bass is more than expected , with no boom or overhang, just tight and accurate.. Yes they are not hitting 20Hz, but anyone expecting that would be daft!
    Of course not having the burden of "cross overs" they really image nicely...

I'm Grant.

quite happy with my current ones. not perfect but what is at lower price levels? twin 10" drivers works pretty well.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    10" seems quite big (oo'er missus) unless they have a whizzer cone. Is that what yours have?
    nope... fast and light paper with alnico mags. old but very good. early 60,s i think. about 98 db but only 3ohm and 8/10 watt a piece. hence this time i used 2 to get 6 ohm and maybe up to 20 watts. dont need much up em tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast