+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Hi-Rez Digital Player for 1TB USB drive?

I'm Nick.

Default Ideas for Hi-Rez Digital Player for 1TB USB drive?

I'm looking for recommends for a digital audio player I can use to play back audio files (standard and hi-res) from a 1TB external USB drive.

I have a decent DAC, just need a digital "transport" to access and play the files.

I tried a Bryston BDP-1 but couldn't get along with the awful User Interface, plus it was quite unreliable on playback with certain file types.

The market seeks to be for either portable players eg Astell & Kern, or digital network streamer thingys.

I don't really want to go the laptop route - hate using iTunes and don't do/own "PC"... so looking for a dedicated standalone (desktop) player with digital outputs (for my DAC) that I can plug into the wall (not run off battery I have to keep charging).

Basically like the Bryston BDP but not a Bryston BDP...

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    I'm looking for recommends for a digital audio player I can use to play back audio files (standard and hi-res) from a 1TB external USB drive.

I have a decent DAC, just need a digital "transport" to access and play the files.

I tried a Bryston BDP-1 but couldn't get along with the awful User Interface, plus it was quite unreliable on playback with certain file types.

The market seeks to be for either portable players eg Astell & Kern, or digital network streamer thingys.

I don't really want to go the laptop route - hate using iTunes and don't do/own "PC"... so looking for a dedicated standalone (desktop) player with digital outputs (for my DAC) that I can plug into the wall (not run off battery I have to keep charging).

Basically like the Bryston BDP but not a Bryston BDP...
    Do you need to rip CDs as well?

I'm Grant.

An rpi is ideal Pretty straight forward these days. Get a spidif board in it and your away. Works with a pc or tablet
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

I feel your pain with iTunes - that has to be the worst piece of crap ever foisted on the mass market.

To be honest I still like the Logitech Squeezebox Eco-system.

If you can find a Squeezebox Touch for a reasonable price - just buy it - you won't regret it.

After my SBT went pop after 10 years or so - I started building clones with cheap Raspberry Pi computers - a bit Techy but worth it.
    Adam.

I'm Geoff.

Budget?

.... and how simple does it need to be?

Geoff

I'm Nick.

Budget is pretty decent, prefer to stay under 1k if poss...

Was looking just now at the Bryston BDP-Pi, which is based on the R-Pi but at Bryston prices... (1250 in the UK).

Don't need to rip CDs, have other gear for that.

Can be pretty simple, a USB in (for my storage drive), a toslink optical out, some kind of screen to navigate files...

I'm Nick.

Quite like the look of the Logitech Squeezebox Touch

Can it play hi-res files eg 24bit, 96khz FLAC/WAV/AIFF ?

Its not mentioned in the online manual what the resolution limits are

I'm Geoff.

The Logitech is a good performer but very dated now. I have an Rpi using a Digione board and it is very very good though takes a little time to understand how to set it up. I also have a Cambridge CXN v1 which is very good too, especially since the recent firmware upgrade to facilitate DASH and TIDAL streaming. The CXN v2 has a better processor. The Cambridge app is very good too. If you were to stretch your budget to £1,400 I would be looking at the Cambridge Azur 851N too.

Geoff

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Yes, but don't use it as a standalone unit.
    It struggles with large libraries, and the Spotify app no longer works.
    You can get Spotify to work, but you'll need to run server on another computer, such as a Raspberry Pi with piCorePlayer installed.

The Squeezebox Touch is a great piece of kit in my opinion.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Paul.

The Rpi is definitely worth considering, especially when you consider the cost. Performance is really good and you have the option for various DACs too.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast