+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ideas for Hi-Rez Digital Player for 1TB USB drive?

I'm Geoff.

Coming back to original post:

Something like a CXN for convenience..

An RPi system for SQ and VFM ..

Geoff

I'm Rob.

Default Ideas for Hi-Rez Digital Player for 1TB USB drive?

I use a full Femto Auralic Aries feeding a Metrum Hex DAC. The Aries has a USB connection on it. I use WiFi to connect a NAS drive which works very well. Being WiFi it allows you to add streaming from a multitude of sources. It does need a suitable Apple product to control it - I use an iPad but I think you can use an iPhone, but you need to have the right version.

It handles many hirez file types. Virtually all my music is flac but I have a few higher res tracks as well.

You can add which interface you want. I am currently running MinimServer which is intuitive and easy to use.

Sound quality is better than my old Logitech Duet and various CD players I have used including Consonance Droplet 3.1 and Talk Thunder 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rob.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by hificricketboy View Post
    Sound quality is better than my old Logitech Duet
    The Receiver was not the greatest sounding piece of kit.
    Sonically it was on a par with the SB3.
    The SQ stakes were upped considerably with the Touch, and the bar raised a lot higher if you powered it from a decent linear PSU.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    I have a Simaudio Moon 180 MiND that I really like. The software is much better than other hardware solution I've tried. It just handles the streaming side of things - which I like as it means I can hook it to my DAC of choice (currently a Bryston BDA-1), and NAS drive. I currently use a couple of LaCie CloudBoxes NAS.

You can pick up a Moon 180 MiNDs on ebay for around £500.

I played with a lot of Raspberry Pi setups and as much as I like them, I much prefer the Moon 180 MiND solution (even with previous DACs (Peachtree DAC-IT, and M2Tech Young).

The Simaudio Moon is a great bit of kit, heard this streaming to a Chord Dave DAC - sublime!

I'm Nick.

Thanks for all the suggestions, gents.
    After a bit of online research I'm going to try an Azur 851N, looks like just what I'm after. If it sounds good through the on-board dual-mono Analog Devices DACs (as all reports say it does) then I can sell on my current DAC (Bryston BDA-1) which will pretty much cover the cost. Found a brand new one on ebay for my 1K budget.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234