+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ikea hacks

I'm Geoff.

Default Ikea hacks

I was in Ikea the other day to pick up an office chair and saw a few items that might be of interest to this group. One item is an office dividing screen that might suit some users who require a small amount of room treatment.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...-art-70268811/

The panels look good and can be set up as mirror image pairs with with either the long side or short side facing forward. They do not offer the same level of performance as my home made Rockwell panels, but I could see them suiting some with hard reflective surfaces close to where their speakers are positioned (e.g windows, radiators etc).

Geoff

I'm Rob.

Interesting. Are they covered MDF or Chipboard or something else?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Interesting. Are they covered MDF or Chipboard or something else?
    They are quite rigid and have a fabric covering and some sort of padded filling. I am guessing that they can absorb a fair amount of high frequency and mid range energy, but probably very little bass energy. They look pretty classy in the flesh so to speak.

Geoff

I'm James.

They look just the job for first reflections. A bit thin but if you wanted to beef them up for bass absorption you could always stick some Rockwool batts on the back with some no nails. They would make good corner bass traps then.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    They look just the job for first reflections. A bit thin but if you wanted to beef them up for bass absorption you could always stick some Rockwool batts on the back with some no nails. They would make good corner bass traps then.
    Agreed, there is not enough mass to deal with excessive bass, but I reckon they could tame a lot of problems in situations were speakers have to be located close to rear or side walls. They are tall enough to work with most standmount speakers too.

Geoff

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Agreed, there is not enough mass to deal with excessive bass, but I reckon they could tame a lot of problems in situations were speakers have to be located close to rear or side walls. They are tall enough to work with most standmount speakers too.

Geoff
    Perfect height I would have thought?

+ Reply to Thread