+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOOTY... what is going on with full backs today ???i

I'm brian.

Default FOOTY... what is going on with full backs today ???i

In my youth, full backs only had two jobs.

1)Hoof the ball upfield to someone who had the skill to do something with it. Dribbling was something these sub-species only did when they were eating food in the bar after the game.
    It would be very unlikely that they could spell the words " ball control "

2) kick lumps out of the opposing winger.

My boyhood hero was a full back named Willie Coburn. ( St Johnstone ) What a guy!! I saw him kick lumps out of all who were stupid enough to try to pass him.

But, gradually, the full back has changed. An IQ of more than 45 is probably now the norm.

They have skills.

None more so than Marcelo, Brazilian full back with REAL MADRID.

Ive been watching this guy for a while now and just love his skills/ball control, which are up there with the best. IMHO

I saw something on the TV the other night, against Bayern Munich.

He made it look so easy, but I thought it was fantastic, and sums the guy up. Watch this short clip (only 6 seconds )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdHcEuKyKQ

I'm Grant.

Don't get to be a full back if you can tackle in this country
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robin.

The best two left backs in the U.K. are Scottish.

I'm Martin.

Was at a mate's house a while back and he was watching an FA cup game between two lower league teams (can't recall who) and it was just like how football used to be in the 1970s. Lots of contact, lots of hoofing, players covered in so much mud it was hard to tell what side they were on, and so on. Sadly the match was abandoned when the floodlights failed with about 10 minutes to go.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

It's always been a half-and-half position, combining the physical attributes of a midfielder with the ability to attack like a winger and defend like a stopper. In essence, it's an all-round role which is why so many central midfielders make the transition to the position with ease and occasionally vice-versa (Lahm during the 2014 World Cup, for example).

Years ago, it would typically be the slot for the least-valued players in the squad.
    Strikers, playmakers and keepers have always been the stars, with midfield generals and hardmen close behind, while the central defenders were usually captains and leaders .. leaving the poor old right and left backs (literally) bringing up the rear.

All that changed with the emergence of the attacking 352 and suddenly wing-backs were in vogue, sharpening the role yet more, until today we have these superhuman hybrids who must excel at pretty much every part of the game to succeed at the top level.

I wrote a speculative article for When Saturday Comes about five or six years ago suggesting that in the future there would be inverted full-backs who'd be stronger cutting in to deal with inside forwards (or wrong-sided wingers, if you like) and also to attack and shoot at the other end.
    They dismissed it and it was never published but I felt rather smug when Pep first tried it at Bayern before doing it again with even more devastating effect at Man City.

I actually played about 300 amateur games at full-back but that was just because I was crap ..
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Mark.

Same story in Rugby, in the old days a fb had a 50-50 chance of making a catch, 5-95 on a wet day, now they are sprinting back to the goal-line catching it over their shoulders, side-stepping the chasing wingers and booting it 80 yds back upfield. Oh no! Hang on a minute that's the props I'm talking about!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    I wrote a speculative article for When Saturday Comes about five or six years ago suggesting that in the future there would be inverted full-backs who'd be stronger cutting in to deal with inside forwards (or wrong-sided wingers, if you like) and also to attack and shoot at the other end.
    They dismissed it and it was never published but I felt rather smug when Pep first tried it at Bayern before doing it again with even more devastating effect at Man City
    Funnily enough, look what's come to light over on the Sky Sports news site http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...n-city-success
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    The best two left backs in the U.K. are Scottish.
    We have? Can't say I noticed much. Take it your referring to the Celtic lad and the Liverpool one.

Scotland produced a lot of good full backs back in the day. Mcgrain and jardine were 2 prime examples. I knew Danny a bit and used to chat with him in his pub a lot. Took a while to understand a word mind. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Funnily enough, look what's come to light over on the Sky Sports news site http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...n-city-success
    I know, it's maddening for me, it really is .. especially given that I even had a snappy title for the piece : Full Back To The Future
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    I know, it's maddening for me, it really is .. especially given that I even had a snappy title for the piece : Full Back To The Future
    That is good.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast