+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celestion SL-6 woofer distortion

I'm Sam.

Default Celestion SL-6 woofer distortion

Hello,

My Celestion SL-6 woofer is making a distorting sound (audio still heard) in one woofer. I was hoping it is a dry joint, as i redid the crossovers sometime back. Any thoughts? maybe i should look at Dynaudio referenc 42s but they dont look as good and cheap and tacky over the SL-6, not sure the sound would be in the same league either

I guess replacement woofers would be hard to get, and then their is the longivity . not sure what to do

my celestions

Amps: Technics SU-V9, SU-V8 (black and silver), V8X, V4X ( 2 black, 1 silver) , G50 and SU-500
    Source:Technics SL-P990, P350, P477a,PG440a, Marantz CD40, NEC CD620 - TDA1541A, Philips CD753, Klein DAC, tuner and turntables Technics
    Speakers: Technics SB-6, Coral CX-5, ESM bookself (seas tweeters), Celestion Sl-6 (copper domes)

I'm Geoff.

It's likely to be sagging cone suspension, causing voicecoil misalignment. Turn the bass driver through 180 degrees, that may sort it. If not there's a guide I wrote a little while back that may help: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...bbing-speakers!

I'm Sam.

Hello Geoff
    Thank you for the reply and help, the link will be useful with other speakers if issues arise.

Strangely the SL-6 are working again, i gently pushed in the woofer and i had rubbing but maybe due to me pressing one side and not both. I will try the 180 degrees and check the wiring connections, need to address the tweeer cutting out, i knowthe issue is the fine wire to the tweeter, my soldering is better now so i can fix that

Amps: Technics SU-V9, SU-V8 (black and silver), V8X, V4X ( 2 black, 1 silver) , G50 and SU-500
    Source:Technics SL-P990, P350, P477a,PG440a, Marantz CD40, NEC CD620 - TDA1541A, Philips CD753, Klein DAC, tuner and turntables Technics
    Speakers: Technics SB-6, Coral CX-5, ESM bookself (seas tweeters), Celestion Sl-6 (copper domes)

I'm Steve.

Default Speaker

Hi Sam

Sounds very much like dust in the mid bass driver coil

Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Sam.

Hi Steve,
    Thank you. Even though the cabinet is close, the original damping is rather dusty like and since the Celestion was sitting around for sometime without use, maybe it settled in the driver coil

I'm Geoff.

That is possible, but unlikely. The coil gap is to a certain extent self cleaning, as the cone move back and forth, the compression and decompression causes quite a bit of air to 'chuff' through the gap and blows it clean.

I'm Deleted.

In the case of the SL6 a sagging cone is most unlikely as it is too small to weigh enough and has quite a stiff suspension. Also, I don’t want to seem overly dismissive, but it’s very unlikely to be dust. What is likely is that either the driver has been overdriven and broken a glue joint between the voicecoil and the rear spider, or the glue has become brittle over time. Your best bet is likely buy a good second hand pair and use them as spares.
    Account Deleted

I'm Lawrence.

Can overdriving not also cause the voice coil to heat up and expand?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Hi Sam
    There is a pair of drivers on ebay for £29
    Very easy to replace
    Regards Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Can overdriving not also cause the voice coil to heat up and expand?
    It can.

But I do know this series of drivers seem comfortable handling a fair bit of power, in fact the low 83db sensitivity seems to demand it to an extent. I know my very similar SL600Si's were happy on the end of a 200 watt power amp. The claimed power handling of the SL6 was 150 watts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast