+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Would I damage my speakers if...

I'm Dennis.

After my JBL friend changed to vertical, I looked at the manual and JBL recommend vertical.

Advantages; equal loading of each amp's power supply, and much shorter speaker wires.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by pandoraefretum View Post
    Thank you very much Russell for your input... these are my thoughts too.
    120 wpc into 8 ohms, but the speakers are DALI opticon 6 which are 4 ohm
    I ran my stereo this way for a few years probably, and it was quite satisfying at times, but I’ve got big Legacy Focus speakers, and even with the big amp on the bottom I felt like it could be better. So, I saved up my dimes and bought a huge 300 watt Krell, used. And the bi amp setup in no way comes close to what I’ve got now. It’s a whole new stereo! Twice what it was before.

Remember that the factory designs the internal crossover to work with a single amp. Most manufacturers put separate posts for bi amping or bi wiring, because it’s what the consumers want. But when you bi amp, you are side stepping their design efforts in the crossover. While they still work, filtering out lows from the high, and highs from the low, you are taking on some of the design elements yourself, when deciding how many watts go high or low. I still encourage you to go ahead and try it! I don’t think you’ll hurt anything. And you just never know, it could be audio nirvana! But personally I’ve gone with one big amp over two small amps. It just worked out that way for me, it doesn’t mean it’s the only way to go. And now days most preamps do not have any tone controls. So being able to tilt the spectrum one way or the other is a big advantage in many rooms. So have at it, and let us know how it works out. I’d be very interested to know how this turns out.

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by pandoraefretum View Post
    Could anyone please look at my Vertical Biamp diagram
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/roland...7690276465420/
    and let me know if the wiring is correct?

Possibly also check my Horizontal Biamp diagram?
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/roland...7690276465420/

No idea which sounds best... but 2 things to consider

1) The amps are integrated ; the gain control characteristics will differ completely from Vertical to Horizontal
    2) The DAC has 2 outs : Fixed and Variable.. I don't know how seamless using both together will work. In both cases the variable out can be used to attenuate the treble 1 or 2 notches (might be a nice feature)

Thanks in advance for any help
    I like the second one

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234