+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would I damage my speakers if...

I'm Roland.

Default 2 Diagrams of Integrated Bi-Amping (using 2 outputs of DAC)

Could anyone please look at my Vertical Biamp diagram
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/roland...7690276465420/
    and let me know if the wiring is correct?

Possibly also check my Horizontal Biamp diagram?
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/roland...7690276465420/

No idea which sounds best... but 2 things to consider

1) The amps are integrated ; the gain control characteristics will differ completely from Vertical to Horizontal
    2) The DAC has 2 outs : Fixed and Variable.. I don't know how seamless using both together will work. In both cases the variable out can be used to attenuate the treble 1 or 2 notches (might be a nice feature)

Thanks in advance for any help

I'm Martin.

The DAC will output from both fixed and variable simultaneously?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The DAC will output from both fixed and variable simultaneously?
    That's right.. the DAC outputs simultaneously from fixed and variable outputs...
    The variable at max is the same as the fixed. Whether or not this will present timing or phase issues remains to be seen.

The manufacturer's support staff didn't criticise my method in any particular way

I'm Martin.

Looks okay to me then. Although I'm not accepting any liability

It's a bit of a lash up though. You won't get any benefit over using just one amp that is comfortable driving the whole speaker. But I suppose you know that.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Roland.

Looks okay to me then. Although I'm not accepting any liability

You won't get any benefit over using just one amp that is comfortable driving the whole speaker. But I suppose you know that.
    No, I don't know that.
    In truth, I am hoping for a little more... of course
    I know what I hear (I'm a professional musician) so I will judge it when I hear it, not before.
    Thx for following

I'm Geoff.

It's a bit of a lash up though. You won't get any benefit over using just one amp that is comfortable driving the whole speaker. But I suppose you know that.
    I agree. The speakers are quoted as having 89db sensitivity. In theory that would give in the region of 130db at the max specified amp output of 150 watts. Not that I think the speakers would actually manage that. Anyway, 100db loudness is more than enough and that would require a mere 15 watts. Assuming the spec is for each speaker singly, you can bung another 3db on for a pair working.

I'm Martin.

Sorry Roland I wasn't criticising. I'm interested in how it pans out. I suspect you may well get an improvement in sound quality, it all depends on how difficult a load the speaker is and how good the Arcam amps are at driving them. If one amp is not comfortable doing it all then adding another should improve things. If one can drive them comfortably then it won't. The only real test is to try it and see.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Roland.

Sorry Roland I wasn't criticising. I'm interested in how it pans out. I suspect you may well get an improvement in sound quality, it all depends on how difficult a load the speaker is and how good the Arcam amps are at driving them. If one amp is not comfortable doing it all then adding another should improve things. If one can drive them comfortably then it won't. The only real test is to try it and see.
    I agree with you, completely, Martin. I really don't know how the result will pan out in practice.
    Previously I had B&W 704 floor-standers (the ones that came out 10 years ago, not the new ones)- they were a little hard for my 90Watt A90 to push; the sound was a little forced.. but when I added a P90 to the bass, I got a much more relaxed sound.

With my new system I am totally prepared to accept a result that shows little or no gain in bi-amping.
    But I do want to try it out ! First I have to order a Hifi rack that will accommodate the 2x A39 ; they are so non-standard in size (depth) !!

I'm Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I agree. The speakers are quoted as having 89db sensitivity. In theory that would give in the region of 130db at the max specified amp output of 150 watts. Not that I think the speakers would actually manage that. Anyway, 100db loudness is more than enough and that would require a mere 15 watts. Assuming the spec is for each speaker singly, you can bung another 3db on for a pair working.
    On paper I gain nothing... in practice... we shall see.
    I have never tried Vertical bi-amping. I need to at least try.. as I do own 2 identical integrated amps.

I'm Grant.

Ive done vertical with integrated Amps. I now use 2 monos Which can be better and worse depending On current requirements
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast