+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would I damage my speakers if...

I'm Roland.

Thanks, these are good answers that raise my awareness
    I was thinking of using the 2 outputs of my DAC last night, and made this diagram
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/roland...7690276465420/

Hoping someone might have a look ; will I run into phase or timing issues between treble and bass ?
    I think this way will make it easier (and foolproof) to set the correct level of treble
    Last edited by pandoraefretum; 25-04-2018 at 11:17.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by pandoraefretum View Post
    Thanks, these are good answers that raise my awareness
    I was thinking of using the 2 outputs of my DAC last night, and made this diagram
    [url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/roland64/41678289741/in/album-72157690276465420/[/

Hoping someone might have a look ; will I run into phase or timing issues between treble and bass ?
    I think this way will make it easier (and foolproof) to set the correct level of treble
    I have looked at your diagram :-

As I see it you are limiting yourself to just digital source?

I cannot ascertain whether to two outputs are identically timed.

You still have the issue of adjusting the volume to both amps, as the variable output (as you would expect) is the only one controlled. I don't think this is foolproof.

Perhaps you could reiterated what you are trying to achieve please. Do you want to use two identical amps for cost benefits or are you trying to control tweeter output for choice?

If the first then solution #11 is more elegant and foolproof and leaves the option of tweaking the tweeter amp. A passive pre ( such as Tisbury) has 3 inputs so you are not limited to one source.
    Last edited by Stryder5; 25-04-2018 at 12:16. Reason: Additional comment

I'm Roland.

I plan on 2 Sources : My DAC can accept Coax in from SaCD player and USB from laptop FLAC files (also I can still use Pre-Out of Amp1 to Aux in of Amp2... for another method)
    (Also I have another CD player with 2 outputs)
    On the DAC the variable out at max is identical to the fixed out (according to manufacturer)
    As long as the 2 amps are set to identical volumes, it would be very unlikely I force the tweeters by mistake
    I have 2 identical Integrated Amps (manufacturer does not make a matching power amp)... the one suggested in the manual costs 4x the price of the integrated

My reason is to use 1 amp for treble and another for bass... I have had horizontal bi-amping for 10 years (Arcam A90+P90)

I'm Shane.

Since the a39 has a preamp output facility I’d run one amp as slave of the other. Connect the preamp output of one amp to a line level input of the other, tat way the volume control of the first amp will control both, and whatever inputs you have into the first amp will feed through to the second. Once you’ve set the relative volume levels using the second amp volume control, you won’t need to touch it again.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Since the a39 has a preamp output facility I’d run one amp as slave of the other. Connect the preamp output of one amp to a line level input of the other, tat way the volume control of the first amp will control both, and whatever inputs you have into the first amp will feed through to the second. Once you’ve set the relative volume levels using the second amp volume control, you won’t need to touch it again.
    Completely, correct ; this is the first method that came to mind (and probably end up doing just that)... still which amp to use as treble and which as bass?
    I also have a subwoofer to add to the speaker terminals....

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by pandoraefretum View Post
    ... still which amp to use as treble and which as bass?.
    Can’t imagine it would make much difference. There is a case or saying use the first amp for the hf as it’s power supply won’t be working as hard which will benefit the performance of the preamp section, but if there’s any audible difference then Arcam’s Psu designers aren’t as good as I thought they were!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Dennis.

My friend has just changed his to vertical at my recommendation, which was on the basis of the power supply loading, and he says it actually sounds better.

I'm Russell.

I bi-amped my speakers this way for a few years. I used a smaller amp for the top end, and a larger one for the bass.

I had my trusty Forte’ Model 3, about 150 to 200watts per, and I borrowed an amp from my bands PA, a Crown XLS2500, supposed to be about 475 watts per, a class D amp. The Crown had gain knobs on the front, so it was easy to adjust the bass as needed. I found it nice to be able to control this for different recordings. I ran separate leads from the two main outputs on my preamp, the Forte’ being single ended, and the Crown being balanced.

And I don’t think too much wattage up top will instantly fry your tweeters with no warning. If you start turning the volume up slowly, hopefully you could hear that the treble was way too strong before you reached the volume level needed to blow the tweeter. Unless you were wreckless and just cranked it up! For the sake of Rock and Roll! Or the amp was a mile too big, McIntosh Kilowatt Monoblocks or something?

Russell

I'm Russell.

And.....

If you have two amps exactly alike, what is the difference between vertical and horizontal? Basically, you’ve got 4 mono amps, in two stereo boxes, what difference will it make which way you wire it? If they have bridged settings, I’d prefer to use them as Monoblocks. And let the crossover do it’s thing.

Russell

I'm Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    If you start turning the volume up slowly, hopefully you could hear that the treble was way too strong before you reached the volume level needed to blow the tweeter. Unless you were wreckless and just cranked it up!

Russell
    Thank you very much Russell for your input... these are my thoughts too.
    120 wpc into 8 ohms, but the speakers are DALI opticon 6 which are 4 ohm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast