+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would I damage my speakers if...

I'm Roland.

Default Would I damage my speakers if...

Would I damage my speakers if..... I were horizontal bi-amping and accidentally ran a lot more current into the bass than into the treble (or vice-versa) ?
    Speakers are DALI Opticon 6 (using internal crossover) - Intended Amps: Arcam Integrated A39 x 2 (120W per channel at 8 Ohms)

Thanks, Roland

I'm Martin.

Yes if you run too much power to the tweeters. The bass unit will probably handle it provided you don't run full power through it for any length of time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes if you run too much power to the tweeters. The bass unit will probably handle it provided you don't run full power through it for any length of time.
    .. in which case I would hear that there's way to much power to the tweeters, right ?

I'm Grant.

Maybe not. They could blow very quickly
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I doubt you'd get any warning.

I'm Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    What's "horizontal" bi-amping? Is that one power amp for L & R bass, and another power amp for L & R tweeters? If so, I suppose it would be possible to turn up the tweeters to frazzle levels while keeping the bass at normal levels and the overall sound wouldn't be especially loud. However, you would (should?) notice that the sound is overly bright and would (should?) do something corrective before its too late. But surely, if you're running all four channels of amplification from one pre-amp, it would be impossible to turn up the tweeters without turning up the bass drivers.

Why do you ask?
    Horizontal = One integrated amp for bass and one for treble...
    Each amp has a volume control of its own
    I think I would hear something horribly wrong way before I blew the tweeters... but good that I am warned beforehand of potential blunders
    You're asking why 2x A39 integrated amps ? because they're on offer at 60% RRP and the dedicated "matching" power amp costs 4x the price of a discounted A39

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by pandoraefretum View Post
    I think I would hear something horribly wrong way before I blew the tweeters.
    No you won't. They tend to blow instantly, without warning.

I'm Grant.

If the 2 Amps could be run off a pre then it would be safer. Or go vertical biamping
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

I have a friend who is running a pair of JBL K2 S9800 speakers with Benchmark amplifiers, and these are horizontally bi-amped. He has split the pre out into each of the power amps, using only the one pre volume control.

It should be possible to guesstimate fairly accurately the relative levels of top and bass by ear, but dependant upon the Xover point, the energy to the tweeters will be considerably lower than to the woofers, and IMO you are unlikely to blow them unless playing silly and/or clipping levels.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    If the 2 Amps could be run off a pre then it would be safer. Or go vertical biamping
    If you use a passive pre, setting both amps at the same dial volume, starting at say half volume, this should mitigate any issues I would have thought. Removing the chance of inadvertently increasing the volume on one amp. The passive pre is now master volume.

You now have variable gain power amps, which can have useful benefits?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast