+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: spdif card for pc?

I'm Paul.

Off the top of my head I cant remember if Windows 7 has Exclusive mode in the Advanced tab of the Sound Card properties, Vista has it. I think this is reduces some latency as it allows other software to take control of the sound card.

Themis is probably right but you could have a look here http://www.asio4all.com/

Also if you find it all unsatisfactory you may want to look at a M-audio 24/96 sound card £55. I bought one a while ago and its very good. I only partly bought it for SPDIF output, I also wanted SPDIF input as I have a profession A/D converter that I want to use to record vinyl. M-Audio also do a 24/192 sound card as well but it over £100.
    ~Paul~

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm David.

That was my fist thought alfie... But the conclusion I came to was why go USB-spdif when I can go spdif direct? Dunno if that makes much sence ... But it seemed logical to me.....
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

The 'Hi-Face' a little USB to spdif convertor, with a difference. It uses Asynchronous USB to drive the spdif out, so everything is effectively very accurately re-clocked before being output to your DAC.

Alot of reading with the links above but they explain some things a little further!
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    That was my fist thought alfie... But the conclusion I came to was why go USB-spdif when I can go spdif direct? Dunno if that makes much sence ... But it seemed logical to me.....
    It does makes sense to me: USB to S/PDIF converters are used for computers which lack S/PDIF.
    Personally, I consider that any interface is potentially not perfect, so I avoid piling them up.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm David.

for the geeks

Check how tidy izit

the rams in the blue sockets... Should it be in the balck ones... If 3gb is the max suported by 32 bit windos can (if I want to) just shuv another 1gb stick in one of the black sockets?

first computer I don't need a USB hub

compared to the last pc I built ... Slightly messier!!

CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie2902 View Post
    The 'Hi-Face' a little USB to spdif convertor, with a difference. It uses Asynchronous USB to drive the spdif out, so everything is effectively very accurately re-clocked before being output to your DAC.

Alot of reading with the links above but they explain some things a little further!
    I shall have a more indepth read... The other more over riding reason for going for the spdif card was the near £100 difference in price ...

I'm notAlone.

Very neat inside hamish, indeed ! *Much* better that the older one !
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    It does makes sense to me: USB to S/PDIF converters are used for computers which lack S/PDIF.
    Personally, I consider that any interface is potentially not perfect, so I avoid piling them up.
    I agree that USB to S/PDIF converters are used for computers which lack S/PDIF but with the 'Hi-Face' being Asynchronous USB there's advantages to be gained in reduced jitter! It may-be worth Hamish trying the direct S/PDIF & seeing how he gets on & in the future trying to get a loan of an 'Hi-Face' to see if he thinks it's an upgrade!
    alfie

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Hamish,

Your new PC is looking very nice & very tidy! I would think the air flow through the case is good? I like caddy drive bays too! very nice mate.
    alfie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast