+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eek!! Amp leaking oily stuff..?? What's going on??

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Yes I have spoken to David before - I have his number.

I thought he only worked on valve amps? Well, I'll give him a call and ask. He's near me in SW19 so hopefully can help.
    David works on all amps not just valves
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Leaking capacitor? Well, at least it's good to hear from you gents that it's not too serious/ hard to fix.
    The 'goo' can damage the circuit board so it's not really a good idea to leave it. I'd mop it up off your furniture too, if I were you.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    The 'goo' can damage the circuit board so it's not really a good idea to leave it. I'd mop it up off your furniture too, if I were you.
    Glad somebody said that. I was going to mention it. The amp really needs immediate attention, as the leaking electrolyte may cause damage and could even be toxic.

I'm Neil.

If its under warranty is needs to go back to where it came from, not be repaired by an unrelated service source.
    Regards Neil

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

As other here have said, power supply caps without a doubt, had a few bits of original McIntosh equipment on the bench recently, and a few of the caps in one were showings signs of having leaked, just ask who ever does the work on it to change all of the large Electrolytics in there, they will all be of the same age, and thus all have the potential to go bad in a similar way.
    Hope you get it sorted.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    If its under warranty is needs to go back to where it came from, not be repaired by an unrelated service source.
    I suspect it is a lot more than 2 years old. If it isn't then it's a bit poor that the caps are leaking already.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12