+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: roof removal with no scaffolding

I'm Grant.

might be flattening off the roof on the side to make a proper room there. either way, any changes potentially interfere with your light and drainage so planning would have to be given, thus you should have been consulted....all imv
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Virkon View Post
    If these guys get injured or worse, who's liable?
    They're probably Romanian or Estonian or whatever labourers working for a dodgy contractor. Bet they can't speak English. If one falls off and dies, they'll likely just cart him off and bury him quietly somewhere.

And I'm not kidding.

I'm Phil.

apparently plans say client is responsible for health and safety . drainage is a problem to consider and also what effect excavation so near to party wall could have on foundations. it is rather worrying . we had a planning notice but it was for a rear extention and nothing said about moving whole house nearer !!

ah what joy , i guess one will have to pay for a surveyor to look at issues

also if a window so close to property overlooking our place i guess would hinder anyone wanting to put extention on our side because it would then affect their light
    Last edited by hifinutt; 24-04-2018 at 04:20.
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    apparently plans say client is responsible for health and safety . drainage is a problem to consider and also what effect excavation so near to party wall could have on foundations. it is rather worrying . we had a planning notice but it was for a rear extention and nothing said about moving whole house nearer !!

ah what joy , i guess one will have to pay for a surveyor to look at issues

also if a window so close to property overlooking our place i guess would hinder anyone wanting to put extension on our side because it would then affect their light
    Contact the local planning office/officer. They will tell you exactly what is planned and whether this work is going beyond what is planned. It may still be on-line. If they are not following it then talk to your neighbours and then the planning officer otherwise it could be built and then things get difficult.

On liability, it is the client under the 6 pack regs (CDM), but the client can argue that they used a competent contractor. If the guy was seriously injured he could argue the client knew it was unsafe as he saw the bad work practice but still let it go on. However, I think these small guys just flaunt things and hope to get away with it. But would you want a guy's death on your conscience to save a few quid? They could claim that they are a small builder but HSE still advises scaffolding should be used with ladders as a last resort.

I'm Phil.

thanks george , if folks put in deep foundations next to your existing walls what can it do ?

Eric Bibb

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post

we had a planning notice but it was for a rear extention and nothing said about moving whole house nearer !!

i guess one will have to pay for a surveyor to look at issues

Get in touch with your local council planning dept ASAP.

they will be very interested if the plans are not being adhered to.

dont let it get so far as you having to pay someone to back up your case.

I'm Sean.

Putting aside planning for a moment my understanding for building works is that if foundations are being put in within 3-6m of your building, depending on depth of foundations, they need either your written permission or a party wall award. The reason is that the foundations could affect your property. Under the Party Wall Act my understanding is that you would be entitled to an independent surveyor to act on your behalf which they would have to pay for. The problem is if they don't proceed as they should your only recourse is to obtain an injunction, do you have legal cover as part of your home insurance? if you do you should contact your insurer.

If they need planning permission and don't have it the council may seek an injunction so definitely speak to the local planning department.

I'm Phil.

thanks sean

have spoken to planning enforcement and they are looking into it. seems they have planning permission for rear but they have taken down most of house . i have asked owner to get party wall agreement done asap and had them all round for a chat yesterday . trying to keep it friendly but legal at the moment as got to live with these folks for a few years !!

got a surveyor coming wed to look at . i must say its a bit of a shock , had to stop them yesterday knocking down the party wall whhich has my joists on and they have already broken through it

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12