+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spendor A5R speakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by bungalowbill View Post
    That must have been the pair in Southampton. ��Good price with P@P I paid 450 for mine. Which funnily enough came from your neck of the woods. I started with BC1 in 78 and unless we move again there a keeper. http://www.grahamlandick.com/spendor-audio/
    Just added the link. Bang for buck you are getting a lot for your money.
    Midrange is well, just right. Try Stanley Clarke, East River Drive on CD. No issues with boomy bass, mine are about 11" off a back wall, firing across the room, due to room lay out firing down is not on.
    either side of a fire place, two large sofas one in front other to the side.
    Thanks for that Bill, and the link. Sounds good, I hope they suit my room. Gotta drive 2 hours to get them, that's the only drawback.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks for that Bill, and the link. Sounds good, I hope they suit my room. Gotta drive 2 hours to get them, that's the only drawback.
    Have no fear, they will do exactly what you require.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Mike.

Had them a couple of days now, not really suitable. They are very similar to the s3/5r which I also tried, obviously they fill the room better, but basic characteristics are almost identical. First impression was 'dry', 'flat', slightly harsh treble, bass response is limited, which is one of the things I wanted. Having read a few other user comments I understand why they say 'unmusical'! They are like a floorstanding monitor, if that's possible. No big deal, and lesson learnt, do not buy Spendor speakers again, lol.
    On the plus side, I can see their appeal, if you like acoustic music you will love them, they seem to extend decay and finer details with precision, most pleasurable, and I would have them in a second system may'be if I had a second room, for that type of listening. Was listening to some Scott Walker earlier - Scott 1 & 2, and that was pretty good, heard a few things I never heard before, also enjoyed them with New order, you need 'clean' well defined music for these speakers. But the Scott lps were quite a revelation, pacing, details of single instruments, not so good with multiple instrumentation, playing Shostakovich now, violins very screechy, not nice.
    So, I loved what I heard with Scott, his voice was superb with the Spendors as well, but these are not an all round speaker, and that is what I need. If anyone can help me stop wasting time and money that would be good. Again, no biggie, but I want the next speakers to be keepers. I use vinyl as my benchmark, and I listen to a fair amount of Beatles, Kinks, Stones, so harsh treble is the last thing I need As above I enjoy many other genres as well, and I do like some things the Spendors did. As far as my current speakers - Ruark Talisman go, what they lack is what I pointed out in the Spendor the things I liked, taut bass, more insight and precision, but they're not bad speakers. Can afford to spend around the £500 mark on the used market, been looking at the PMC GB1, but to be honest there are so many speaker brands out there, you only notice the current popular ones, there must be some forgotten models out there which are really good............
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12