+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spendor A5R speakers

I'm Mike.

Default Spendor A5R speakers

Interested in buying a pair of Spendor mini floorstanders, it is my understanding they have a lean bass, I need it for my room, as its booms in places, and its an attribute I've always liked anyway (lean bass). I've heard they are sweet yet detailed, sound like what I need, I dislike screechy treble. Anybody know these speakers? The A line - I had a pair of s3/5r and whilst they were a bit flat for my type of music, I appreciated their sound, they were also much too small for my room, silly me. Currently own a pair of Ruark Talisman II.
    Also the A5R has 3 drivers, what is the bottom one for, as it is just a convex dome, with nothing in the middle

I'd consider any of the A line, 3/4/5, whatever turns up.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Gary.

Have you thought about Ruark Templar's, they are a sealed box.

My room suffers like yours seems to, but these work

I'm Geoff.

Have you considered Totem Arro's? They have a forgiving bass balance and seem well liked by their owners, they image nicely. They also take up very little space.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Have you thought about Ruark Templar's, they are a sealed box.

My room suffers like yours seems to, but these work
    I had a pair, I don't think they're up to much, not quite as bad as Royd Minstrels though!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Have you considered Totem Arro's? They have a forgiving bass balance and seem well liked by their owners, they image nicely. They also take up very little space.
    Aah, yes they're similarly sized to the Spendors I think, the Spendors are supposed to have a sweet midrange though which attracts me.

I'm Geoff.

Nothing wrong with the mids on the Arros.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Aah, yes they're similarly sized to the Spendors I think, the Spendors are supposed to have a sweet midrange though which attracts me.
    Yep, from what I know of Spendors, being particularly good in the mids is a key characteristic they are said to have
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Mike.

Just found a pair of Spendor S5e on Ebay, seller accepted £320 for them, which I thought was very fair. So see how I'll get on with those.

I'm Robert.

Just found a pair of Spendor S5e on Ebay, seller accepted £320 for them, which I thought was very fair. So see how I'll get on with those.
    Nice one and all the best with it.

Look forward to your thoughts once you've had some time with them
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm ian.

That must have been the pair in Southampton. ��Good price with P@P I paid 450 for mine. Which funnily enough came from your neck of the woods. I started with BC1 in 78 and unless we move again there a keeper. http://www.grahamlandick.com/spendor-audio/
    Just added the link. Bang for buck you are getting a lot for your money.
    Midrange is well, just right. Try Stanley Clarke, East River Drive on CD. No issues with boomy bass, mine are about 11" off a back wall, firing across the room, due to room lay out firing down is not on.
    either side of a fire place, two large sofas one in front other to the side.
    Last edited by bungalowbill; 24-04-2018 at 17:53.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast