+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optical, digital coax or RCA....can of worms ?

I'm Werner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Ovwr toslink and spdif, I’d go Spdif […]
    This statement is imprecise and incorrect. You can not compare a data format and software protocol (S/PDIF) with two different types of physical connection: either electric 75 Ω using a 3.5 mm RCA plug (coax) or optical with corresponding cables, plugs and sockets (Toslink).
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    This statement is imprecise and incorrect. You can not compare a data format and software protocol (S/PDIF) with two different types of physical connection: either electric 75 Ω using a 3.5 mm RCA plug (coax) or optical with corresponding cables, plugs and sockets (Toslink).
    Aware of the technical differences Werner.

They both are digital connections to a Dac, my ears can hear music from them both.
    Think the OP was asking more for subjective opinions from forum members on which one they thought sounded better.

That was mine.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 24-04-2018 at 15:54.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Werner.

Gaz,
    Aware of the technical differences Werner.
    these are not technical differences, but semantic ones. You might be able to hear a difference between a data connection/transmission via an electrical 75 Ω coaxial (RCA) cable and an optical (Toslink) cable, but there simply cannot be any difference between Toslink and S/PIDF, as you claimed earlier:

Ovwr toslink and spdif, I’d go Spdif
    I apologize for my possibly exaggerated preference for linguistic precison, but I’m admirer of the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein. ;-)
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 25-04-2018 at 18:46.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Gary.

Was meaning Spdif as in coaxial connection...vs optical Toslink.
    Both SPDIF as you said.

Wittgenstein You say...the Beery swine?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    Gaz,
    these are not technical differences, but semantic ones. You might be able to hear a difference between a data connection/transmission via an electrical 75 Ω coaxial (RCA) cable and an optical (Toslink) cable, but there simply cannot be any difference between Toslink and S/PIDF, as you claimed earlier:

I apologize for my possibly exaggerated preference for linguistic precison, but I’m admirer of the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein. ;-)
    I would suggest that the issue is one of nomenclature rather than semantics per se!

I'm Werner.

Geoff,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I would suggest that the issue is one of nomenclature rather than semantics per se!
    that’s right, of course.

I'm Shaun.

For me in my system the best option is coax. I have tried optical and it wasn't good generating lots of drop outs however, that was quite a few years back with a Beresford DAC so it may be worth re-investigating it.

I'm Werner.

I’m happy with S/PDIF via optical connection (Toslink), but my Macbook Pro and iMac don’t offer coaxial digital out. Toslink works without any dropout or other flaws, with various Beresford as well as Schiit DACs to which I switched later.

I'm Ken.

Maybe not so relevant to your own direct situation, but found XLR/AES to be noticably the best sounding digital connection.
    Ovwr toslink and spdif, I’d go Spdif, but get a good screened digital cable.
    It pretty much depends on the individual kit, my Stello CD Transport has AES (XLR) and SPDIF (Coax) outputs plus i2s (BNC), I was surprised that Stello recommended the coax connection over the AES, but having tried both, I agree with their recommendation on this particular device.

I thought optical spdif was supposed to be more prone to jitter, so coax spdif is usually the better choice, all other things being equal?

Properly implemented, they all sound pretty good though, I wouldn't like to pick between any of them in a blind test, USB included.
    So it boils down to how well each is implemented on your device/s as to whether there is any audible difference, rather than hard set rules, so a bit of suck it and see.

I'm Z.

Thanks for all your comments

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12