+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where have all the decent album sleeve designers gone?

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Not much incentive for album art these days given that most of it is reduced to a pixellated postage stamp.

An old favourite of mine is "Machine Gun Etiquette" by The Damned:

I just love the idea of Vanian as Dracula, Sensible in lurid mohair, Rat and Algy wandering past the bemused Manhattan public. I picked up a photo from the same session a few years back in which they're on the Ellis Island Ferry (dressed as above) which must have disturbed the tourists.

Pete

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    You're missing 'Solid' from your collection there Grant. Not the best cover but a good album nevertheless.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

back cover is best

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    Not much incentive for album art these days given that most of it is reduced to a pixellated postage stamp.

An old favourite of mine is "Machine Gun Etiquette" by The Damned:

I just love the idea of Vanian as Dracula, Sensible in lurid mohair, Rat and Algy wandering past the bemused Manhattan public. I picked up a photo from the same session a few years back in which they're on the Ellis Island Ferry (dressed as above) which must have disturbed the tourists.

Pete
    Saw them live 30th November 1979 at the Rainbow. Captain Sensible poured a load of beer over the support act Antie Pus.

Then audience smashed a load of the seats up and threw them into the pulpit and onto people.

The gig was stopped twice and the bleeding victims displayed onstage to try and get some sense into the idiocy of what they were doing.

It largely didn't work, and the bouncers became hyper-violent, hitting people indiscriminately.

The Captain came on stage after 12 midnight (they went through a phase of not coming on before then) with a 30ft inflatable dinosour tail and no clothes. He soon got dragged into the crowd with that.

He continued to play naked, and made the front cover of the NME with a shot from the gig with his guitar in front of his privates.

Much else happened and to this day it remains the most unbelievable gig I have ever been to.

Good cover, great album. One of my biggest regrets was selling my vinyl copy of The Black Album. That got quite rare. Nice cover too.

I'm Justin.

The Stranglers The Raven 3D is probably the best album cover I have seen.

Not point in posting the 2D or even 3D version. You have to have it in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The Stranglers The Raven 3D is probably the best album cover I have seen.

Not point in posting the 2D or even 3D version. You have to have it in your hands.
    Spot on. One of very few records I've bought because of "collectability" (as well as being a great album).

Pete
    Last edited by Pete The Cat; 24-04-2018 at 07:37. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They started doing those 'inspirational' posters that they put up in the offices of companies that are really badly managed instead. If you ever go for an interview at a place and they have those pictures up, make your excuses and leave.
    Great comment, although I doubt it was the same folk selling themselves out. I agree, the more you see of that inspirational sh*t the more you have to worry. Likewise, companies with large corporate communications/PR departments filled with "luvies" forever going on about how wonderful it is to work there - usually an inverse relationship to how good the company actually is.

Have to disagree about DSOTM and WYWH sleeve designs though - it is DSOTM that holds all the mystique for me

As for the comment from another poster about "no incentive" I beg to disagree, vinyl sales are important - did I not read recently that "sales" are outstripping downloads? In the heyday of vinyl, the artwork was pretty well as important as the music as it often sealed the sale with punters often not having the luxury to listen before they bought.

Cheers

Phil

P.S. Also like the Groundhogs sleeve designs and have (or had) a copy of the Stranglers' "Raven" 3D.

The excitable media headlines imply that vinyl sales are material. The bar chart in this report on 2017 shines a light, with digital (streaming and download) sales being almost double the volume of physical sales, and of physical sales vinyl is still a small minority.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...or-two-decades

I guess my point was that, bar PC-based streaming, I don't think most folks are spending time appreciating 12" by 12" art, which is a great shame.

Pete

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Certainly not like the golden years but maybe they are not on lsd so much these days
    i disagree. check out the album covers by Ed Unitsky
    Last edited by Floyddroid; 29-04-2018 at 09:10. Reason: i fucked it up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12