+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the decent album sleeve designers gone?

Default Where have all the decent album sleeve designers gone?

It has been worrying me for a while, brought home when I bought a copy of Floyd's pretty forgettable "Endless River". What on earth was going on with the sleeve design - it looks like some dreadful Athena (remember them?) poster - just plain silly:

Compare that to this......

...or this....

Last week, I bought Mike Oldfield's "Return To Ommadawn". The original is an all time favourite so I was in some trepidation, but actually it's a lovely album. However, the sleeve - what on earth?

Compare to....

It's as if we have lost all the great album art designers - all the invention has disappeared. Where are you Storm when we need you?

Am I alone in thinking this?

Cheers

Phil

I'm Grant.

Certainly not like the golden years but maybe they are not on lsd so much these days
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Things went to shit in the eighties, when the album designers looked at their new 'canvas' (CD's), and thought 'what's the point?'. Then they took up gardening and caravan holidays. Probably.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Things went to shit in the eighties, when the album designers looked at their new 'canvas' (CD's), and thought 'what's the point?'. Then they took up gardening and caravan holidays. Probably.
    They started doing those 'inspirational' posters that they put up in the offices of companies that are really badly managed instead. If you ever go for an interview at a place and they have those pictures up, make your excuses and leave.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Joe.

With the disbandment of Hipgnosis and death of Storm Thorgerson, record sleeve design took a massive downturn. People don't seem to be interested in the artwork any more.

I'm Martin.

I'm not so keen on the covers you picked to illustrate the good ones. DOSTM I always thought was a bit boring. Wish You Were Here, now that's an album cover. You could stare at that bloke on fire for hours, especially if the drugs were good. I mean, what exactly is supposed to be occurring there?

Here's another one of my favourites. As well as there being a lot to look at, there's a whole story going on. And it's a corking album, too:

Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Always liked the groundhogs covers. All very good
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Who can forget this one:

Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

And of course the unforgettable!

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast