+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning the stylus

I'm Josie.

Yep, same one I use too. Never had that though...

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If your records are clean then the only debris that will end up on the stylus will be a little dust. And if your records aren't clean buy yourself an RCM and clean them properly; replacing the inner sleeves if necessary.

Thereafter, one needs only to use a carbon fibre record brush (such as the Decca Record Brush), and use a sable hair artist's brush to remove any 'flecks' that might fall onto the record whilst it is on the turntable. Thus there shouldn't be any fluff accumulating on the stylus, and if there is it won't be sticky and is easily removed with a dry stylus brush or a velvet-covered Watts stylus cleaner.

I am very weary of using 'magic putty', and would much rather use an electronic stylus cleaner (mine's a Goldring; which seems to vibrate at around 1kHz).
    Barry

I'm Slav.

Fibre brush every now and then , every couple of weeks HiFi Flux cleaner (dry) and records cleaned on RCM .
    I stay away from any sticky putty kind of thing after couple styluses got loosened while using one , second accident taught me not to buy used cartridges ever again .

I'm Paul.

Never wet, Sable brush and occasionally moongel.

I find some short stylus brushes a bit hard.
    Magic eraser ok but you have to be very careful.
    Electronic stylus cleaners not anymore since I lost a tip some years ago.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    Never wet, Sable brush and occasionally moongel.

I find some short stylus brushes a bit hard.
    Magic eraser ok but you have to be very careful.
    Electronic stylus cleaners not anymore since I lost a tip some years ago.
    Magic eraser is good, providing that you are only lowering the stylus straight down, and then lifting it straight up. No back-and-forth or lateral movements. The fine fibres in magic eraser grab onto the stylus, so it's not a good idea to wiggle it around. Straight up and down seems harmless.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Steve.

The first thing needed to maintain a clean stylus is clean records. By that I mean using a Keith Monks cleaning machine. It is, by a country mile, the best method of cleaning records, as used by the BBC. It's doubtful if most people would buy one, but there is a list of dealers who offer a KM cleaning service on the KM web site: http://www.keithmonks-rcm.co.uk/retailers.asp There are also individuals who offer the service and can be contacted via ads in the hifi press or on forums. Regarding cleaning the stylus, the first thing is to get a 40x magnifier to be able to see 'close up and personal' just what crud is on there. And by that I'm not just referring to incy wincy bits of fluff, there can often be much harder deposits caked on that simply do not come off with a light brushing. I found that determined but careful use of Audio Technica cleaning fluid on a stylus cleaning brush was the answer, taking care not to introduce the fluid into the bowels of the cartridge. The photo (not mine) shows the kind of thing you see when using a strong magnifier - similar to what I saw on mine before I went down this 'total road' to clean records. The difference between a 'bare eyes' and a magnified examination of a stylus are like light and day. So, in short, use a KM machine on all your records and get a good magnifier, that's my tip. The effectiveness of the actual cleaning method used can easily be seen by the progress made when reviewing the stylus using the magnifier after each attempt. The 'best method in the world' is of no use if you cannot see the results; you may need a second or even a third attempt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vintagesteve; 28-04-2018 at 07:52.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123