+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the stylus

I'm Josie.

Cool.

Thanks very much guys. Its one of those things that sometimes occurres. I played an lp yesterday... I thought it had been cleaned a while ago yet half way through the left side went all fuzzy... So a quick brush later it was fine but soon came back again.

Obviously the lp is dirtier than I assumed.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Josie.

... Cont.

To be honest though I've never really had a routine apart from using the little brush after a good few records... So thanks for the info... I'll have to get a bit more in to doing it regularly.

As for chemical cleaners, I never used one after someone years ago said they can damage the stylus... Obviously that was false info.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Paul.

I use one of those little Thacker stylus cleaning brushes and it seems to work well. Cost around £8 I think which did seem quite expesive but I use it quite often, so it is a worthwhile purchase in my book.
    ~Paul~

I'm Grant.

Nagaoka RC-401 Round Cleaner Record Weight & Stylus Cleaner

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I always use an angle grinder
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Correction - I never use an angle grinder, I just got excited with the prospect of getting one of the power tools out of its case
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Tristan.

The new flux vibrating cleaner looks good. But, it's £115. There's s HiFi pig review.

I'm Tony.

A 3 pronged attack here.....

VP Dust Buster & a soft haired brush pilfered from my daughter's make-up box. Don't like the stiffish ones supplied with the cartridge.
    Magic Eraser...3 or 4 dips once a week. Not keen on the method used in the above video...you can see the piece of ME moving. I've glued a piece to a small wooden block so it's the same height as the platter and doesn't move .

Might be a bit OTT but I've never had a gunked up stylus.
    Last edited by moffer; 21-04-2018 at 15:16.

I'm richard.

Be careful with the carbon brushes - I used the Ortofon version with densely packed fibres - it shed some minute fibres that seemed stuck to the stylus. Took a lot of brushing (with a different one obviously) and playing before they shifted. PITA. I don't use it anymore

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    Be careful with the carbon brushes - I used the Ortofon version with densely packed fibres - it shed some minute fibres that seemed stuck to the stylus. Took a lot of brushing (with a different one obviously) and playing before they shifted. PITA. I don't use it anymore
    Blimey ! Must admit I use this one and have thought it's pretty tough hence I dont go mad ie: one times back to front maybe two and done.
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 21-04-2018 at 16:14.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast