+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the stylus

I'm Josie.

Default Cleaning the stylus

Hi all.

Does anyone have a good tip on cleaning the stylus?

I've seen lots of chemicals for sale over the years but refrained from trying them.

I have a carbon fiber brush and also some green putty stuff from NWA. Used the brush more than the putty but is there any other ways or better ways?

Thanks

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Hugo.

Regular use of a dry brush to remove fluff, supplemented by Audio Technica AT607 stylus cleaning fluid. I think Audio Technica know enough about stylus bonding to be trusted when it comes to the safety of liquid cleaning solutions.

I'm Chris.

I use the Magic Eraser method, works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sPpAlkXEm0
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm gone.

iirc Linn used to recommend using the scratchy side of a match box.
    I tried that and it worked well.

An AudioTechnica vibrator worked well for me, no not that sort. An AT-637
    But some folks warn of dangers. I used mine for decades without problems, though.
    Available quite often used on eBay.

I'm Robert.

Unless your stylus is cruddy a stylus carbon fibre brush, typically like this http://www.analogueseduction.net/sty...lus-brush.html should suffice.

Clean from back to front only, never backwards or side to side.

Keeping records clean should mean the stylus brush is enough in my experience
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm John.

I use that putty shite after each side + carbon fibre brush on RCM cleaned records. If extra crud (viewed through a jewellers loupe) then AT 607 fluid if bad. Once a month its 607 + the AT vibrator thingey, and I ALWAYS blow the stylus off using a can of compressed air (from computer/office supply shops) whenever I've done a wet clean. This routine has kept my Hana SL spotless, with the compressed air also clearing micro dust.

I'm Clive.

I use the VP Stylus Cleaner, I dip after each session is usually enough. Keeping records clean is the secret, preferably with a RCM.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm jamie.

does any one else get that magnetic fluff shite that seems to stick to the cantilever where it enters the body?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Charlie.

Josie,

1) Most importantly, use a wet RCM to clean your records once before you play them for the first time - that way you get very little fluff on the stylus

2) If you get fluff on the stylus, usually this will be just a bit of light stuff perhaps with a few fibres - this will normally come off with any of the following a) stylus putty e.g. Onzow Zerodust, Vinyl Passion etc, b) use of a vibrating stylus cleaner e.g. AT637, c) magic eraser, or d) careful brushing with a soft brush (e.g. a fine sable artists paint brush) from back to front.

3) If the stuff is really caked onto the stylus tip after doing stage 2), then you could do a) repeat AT637 with a drop of cleaning fluid on the vibrating pad or b) use the sable artists brush with a TINY drop of cleaning fluid - brush repeatedly from back to front - if it is really baked on hard, it may take a while to get the stylus clean.

TOP TIP - DON'T DO THIS WHEN YOU'VE HAD TOO MANY BEERS/GLASSES OF WINE
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Josie,

1) Most importantly, use a wet RCM to clean your records once before you play them for the first time - that way you get very little fluff on the stylus

2) If you get fluff on the stylus, usually this will be just a bit of light stuff perhaps with a few fibres - this will normally come off with any of the following a) stylus putty e.g. Onzow Zerodust, Vinyl Passion etc, b) use of a vibrating stylus cleaner e.g. AT637, c) magic eraser, or d) careful brushing with a soft brush (e.g. a fine sable artists paint brush) from back to front.

3) If the stuff is really caked onto the stylus tip after doing stage 2), then you could do a) repeat AT637 with a drop of cleaning fluid on the vibrating pad or b) use the sable artists brush with a TINY drop of cleaning fluid - brush repeatedly from back to front - if it is really baked on hard, it may take a while to get the stylus clean.

TOP TIP - DON'T DO THIS WHEN YOU'VE HAD TOO MANY BEERS/GLASSES OF WINE
    Agree with all of this. I used to used the Lyra stylus solvent free cleaning fluid but the AT stuff seems pretty good too and I think also solvent free.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast