+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake Valves

I'm Chris.

Default Fake Valves

I am intrigued by this notion of fake valves.

The cost and aggro of producing a viable looking fake valve must be beyond most people. So are they just claiming old valves as NOS or worst relabelling different available valves with a new identity?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Dan.

Yes to both. I personally have never seen (at least to my knowledge) a re-labelled fake, but I have known a number of people that have bought them in the past.
    As for buying tubes that are supposed to be NOS and are used. I run into this all the time. I have an amp on the bench right now with a bunch of RCA tubes in it. I told the owner one went gassy, two are noisy and his response was "I just bought those, they're supposed to be new in box, old stock"

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yes to both. I personally have never seen (at least to my knowledge) a re-labelled fake, but I have known a number of people that have bought them in the past.
    As for buying tubes that are supposed to be NOS and are used. I run into this all the time. I have an amp on the bench right now with a bunch of RCA tubes in it. I told the owner one went gassy, two are noisy and his response was "I just bought those, they're supposed to be new in box, old stock"
    Thanks Dan

I often buy 45 triodes from the USA, and you just have to trust sellers with multiple feed backs, and hope that the test data they supply is good.

Haven't really found a source of 45 triodes in the UK.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Steve.

Depends what you call fake. The Mullard name is legitimately being used again by Sovtek, but the valves are nothing like the original Mullards. Make no mistake, large parts of the valve scene can be a minefield. That's why people try to get hold of original 'name brand' valves albeit it a premium price. For hifi use, used within their parameters ie not overdriven, personally I don't think it makes that much difference. At least, it's subjective and I'm not going to get into subjective arguments, there's no proof for anyone there, it's just one person's opinion vs another's. But for pro electric guitar amp use the difference is chalk and cheese when overdriven. The cheap valves sound discordant and sour, and Mullards sound sweet, 'chimey' and rich in even order harmonics. When they're not overdriven, the difference is far less evident.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

As with any up-market desirable commodity from well-respected manufacturers, it is just as likely that valves will be counterfeited along with Swiss watches, luggage, women's handbags and anything else sporting desirable labels.

So too in the audio world there are counterfeit, or fake Neumann and AKG microphones, as there are Siemens & Halske and Telefunken valves. These fakes can be spotted if you know what to look for - as an occasional pastime I look to see if someone is wearing a fake Rolex watch. Again easy to do if you know what to look for.
    Barry

I'm Rob.

I hear these work really well. Illuminating!
    Rob.