+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raspberry Pi Digi hat recommendations

I'm James.

Default Raspberry Pi Digi hat recommendations

Hi all

I was using HDMI out from my Pi for music which sounded great but it kept confusing my A/V amp... what, no video signal!!

So I upgraded to a HiFiBerry DAC+. NoT impressed at all! Even though the thing is supposed to have a good chip.

Now I want to try an optical out but wondered, does quality matter? Surely digital to digital shouldn’t require the quality of components that good digital to analogue does?

Cheers all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm Alastair.

It all depends on how much you want to spend and if you have a DAC already. If you don't have a separate DAC the Audiophonics with the ES9023 is pretty good (I have one going spare if you want to PM me) and has stereo RCA outputs. I used the HiFiBerry Digi+ with my Caiman SEG DAC with an optical connection which was very good (I have one of those to!). More recently, I have been using the Allo DigiOne which does not have an optical connection (they claim the jitter is too high). Together with my Caiman SEG it sounds fantastic. You might want to try something from the Allo DAC range as well.

I hope that helps.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Geoff.

Yes,

The Digi + is good (I have one) but the Digione is much better (but as noted, does not have optical out).

Both require a DAC though.

Geoff

I'm James.

Cheers guys, planning on using AV amps DAC. can be optical or coax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+ Reply to Thread