+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CD Revival?

I'm Dennis.

Early on in the thread I think attention span was being alluded to.

We have been through an age in which music became involved, PF used tracks as a complete story or depiction, almost a philosophy.

TV now has the shortest busts of edited pictures ever, about 1 to 1.5 secs. presumably psychologists are determining this, and it is done to manipulate and control.

Fast modern life with reduced attention span precludes music requiring commitment.

I'm Russell.

I remember in my youth, once a week I would go to the record store to spend my hard earned money. I was in the habit of buying one record a week. Two if I couldn’t decide. But how often I walked in not knowing what I would buy?! And how often did I choose an album strictly by the album cover? I recall seeing Black Sabbath Sabotage, with the band dressed in funky clothes, I thought they were the coolest! And bought with no idea what was on the record. And the rest is history, I was forever corrupted that day by, “The Hand of Doom”, it was like I had found what I was looking for!

After CD’s came out, I don’t recall buying by album cover alone anymore. For one thing they were expensive so I wanted to be sure there were at least two songs I liked before I would chance it.

And now with streaming, how does one discover new works? Or old. If we only replay songs we’ve heard on the radio, we are limited in our experience. And if I stream, will they have my old Dixie Dregs? Or that obscure Dicky Betts solo album? These are different times, and young people will never know what it was like for me to walk into that record store once a week with my cash in hand, looking to leave with a record no matter what! I recall far more surprises than disappointments. Sure anyone streaming can just start clicking on random music to see if they like it, but somehow it’s not the same. Perhaps I’m just a square peg in a round hole?

Shite music? Any rap music where the rapper tries his best to not be understood, over a Casio keyboard demo beat. Why buy music that you could make yourself in less than an hour?

Russell

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I remember in my youth, once a week I would go to the record store to spend my hard earned money. I was in the habit of buying one record a week. Two if I couldn’t decide. But how often I walked in not knowing what I would buy?! And how often did I choose an album strictly by the album cover? I recall seeing Black Sabbath Sabotage, with the band dressed in funky clothes, I thought they were the coolest! And bought with no idea what was on the record. And the rest is history, I was forever corrupted that day by, “The Hand of Doom”, it was like I had found what I was looking for!

After CD’s came out, I don’t recall buying by album cover alone anymore. For one thing they were expensive so I wanted to be sure there were at least two songs I liked before I would chance it.
    That was me, too. I was gutted when I went into the record shop one day to find the floor with the vinyl was now the floor with the DVDs. That was the end of an era, vinyl revival not withstanding.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    There is also the fact that all a CDP does is convert a digital code into an analogue signal
    If only it were that simple....
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    This not only means I can read the booklets whilst playing the Flacs
    Do you actually do this?
    Chris

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Firstly there is no incentive to sit down and listen to a whole album as a body of work. Just pick your favourite tracks and then move on to something else. That's a shame.
    This is the thing for me. If I'm streaming it dawns on me at some point that I'm bored, can't decide what to listen to.

I much prefer putting on a record and listening to the whole of it. I can absolutely say I never do that using Spotify....

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Do you actually do this?
    Yes I do - I am old fashioned like that !

There is something about having the LP or CD sleeve on your lap that keeps me locked into listening to the whole album.

...no sleeve art and I skip tracks on Tidal / Qobuz like an idiot or teenager !
    Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    Yes I do - I am old fashioned like that !

There is something about having the LP or CD sleeve on your lap that keeps me locked into listening to the whole album.

...no sleeve art and I skip tracks on Tidal / Qobuz like an idiot or teenager !
    You're the first I've heard of doing that with CD booklets.

I was frustrated with the size of CD booklets from the off - I bought my first CD player in 1986, when the 2nd (possibly 3rd) generation machines came out and didn't cost a fortune (I bought my Philips machine in Laskys for £200.00).
    The booklets were difficult enough for me to read back then when I was 24, and with the decline of my visual accommodation things have got worse. My arms aren't long enough to hold the booklet far enough away to permit me to read the damned things when I have my specs on, and when I take my specs off my focus point is almost nose up against the booklet.

Most of my friends have similar thoughts and experiences with CD booklets too.

Whenever I bought an LP record I digested the sleeve notes during the bus journey home, so the cover used to get propped up near the record player, and I concentrated on the music.
    I never really got into the habit of reading something while listening to music.
    Chris

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    You're the first I've heard of doing that with CD booklets.

I was frustrated with the size of CD booklets from the off - I bought my first CD player in 1986, when the 2nd (possibly 3rd) generation machines came out and didn't cost a fortune (I bought my Philips machine in Laskys for £200.00).
    The booklets were difficult enough for me to read back then when I was 24, and with the decline of my visual accommodation things have got worse. My arms aren't long enough to hold the booklet far enough away to permit me to read the damned things when I have my specs on, and when I take my specs off my focus point is almost nose up against the booklet.

Most of my friends have similar thoughts and experiences with CD booklets too.

Whenever I bought an LP record I digested the sleeve notes during the bus journey home, so the cover used to get propped up near the record player, and I concentrated on the music.
    I never really got into the habit of reading something while listening to music.
    Yes like you I bought my first CD Player via Laskys in 1985 / 86. A Philips CD150.

Remember going into Ainleys Records Leicester having got the player. They had a single 5 foot by 3 foot rack of CDs at the time....

...got all the Kraftwerk CDs on German Import from this rack but there wasn't a whole lot else that interested me back then.

My eyes were 20-20 at the time for the booklets. These days I have to park my specs on my head to read them properly.
    Adam.

I'm Russell.

I bought my first CD player in about ‘86. Or earlier? It was when no one even knew what they were! I told everyone at work I had bought one, and the most common question I got was, “Does it play movies”, apparently confusing it with the laser disc of the day. It broke after about 3 years, but was still under extended warranty. They couldn’t fix it, so I went in the store and selected another for the same price. The new machines were far and away better than the first ones. I got a Sony that sounded twice as good as the first one, a Sanaui, that I assume was actually made for them by someone else. And lasted many years, it still worked great when I upgraded some years later.

A few of those first CD’s, when they were on a small rack by the cash register, were pretty bad. I bought Heart, Little Queen, and it was nearly unlistenable! The female vocals were so shrill it would curl your toenails! I read somewhere back then, that many labels were in such a rush to get music on CD’s that they took masters for vinyl, which are tipped up on both ends of the frequency spectrum to accommodate the Frequency losses during the cutting process. But CD’s don’t have these problems and it made them very bright in the top, and boomy in the bottom. It took them a while before they figured out they needed to be equalized first. Of course, they had to know, but just didn’t care! They were trying to get some CD’s on the shelves, ready or not. For a while, I had no faith in the medium. Those first bad discs really gave it a black eye as far as I was concerned. I looked at CD’s as a novelty, a passing phase. Until the day I walked into the record store and the place was full of CD’s, which had been all vinyl just a week before! The salesman was nearly in tears as he told me how they took all the Records and threw them into a cube truck like trash. It was that moment I realized it was here to stay. And at that moment I wasn’t very happy about it, I felt like the salesman, all that good music going to waste.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast