+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CD Revival?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    So for something to be considered quality it only has to be paid for? I suspect Robert M Pirsig would have had something to say about that line of reasoning...

No, you're missing the point. I said that because it was a historic scenario from when I worked in music retail.

The same could be said of someone today choosing to listen to it on YouTube or streaming it free or indeed just singing a song they like themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I am a massive music snob myself but I never say "That's shit" - I prefer "I don't like it" .. though it is hard sometimes
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    No, you're missing the point. I said that because it was a historic scenario from when I worked in music retail.

The same could be said of someone today choosing to listen to it on YouTube or streaming it free or indeed just singing a song they like themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I am a massive music snob myself but I never say "That's shit" - I prefer "I don't like it" .. though it is hard sometimes
    No, I'm making a distinction between stuff I don't like and the stuff that is worthless to everyone. They are two different things for me.

Like I said, can't stand the Smiths but quite happy to acknowledge their genius, its just not my sort of thing. Same with most Classical. I don't think I'm a music snob, it's just there is a cut-off point where I say 'Wait a minute, this is just shite.' Like when you go to one of those pubs where you can buy a 'steak' for £4.99. You have two mouthfuls and then you say 'This isn't a steak, it's just shite.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

... the stuff that is worthless to everyone.
    Name something.
    I honestly can't see how you can
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Gary.

I'm less concerned about the crappy equipment. Someone listening to proper music on a Crossly is preferable to someone listening to shite on a £10K Linn.

And before anyone write in to say that what is 'shite' is entirely subjective, I'd argue it isn't. There's music I don't like (The Smiths, for example), but that isn't shit music it is just not to my taste. Shit is completely different and very easy to spot.

I would argue that you can't listen to anything on a Crossly, or whatever suitcase type device, that could be considered music, it's a noise yes.

LP's to some are a fashion item.

Not sure about Crosleys but I think there is a place for cheap and cheerful gear - a record can be played very easily, with a pin and a piece of card if that's your wont. Cheap and cheerful gear will play records and make music. It's what we grew up with, many of us. My mate had a Bush system in the 70's which we all listened to. I witnessed a chap in a record shop sell an old stack system he had picked up to a bunch of kids for £10 - it sounded pretty dire to me but it worked and they were ecstatic to have something to play their records on.

FWIW I love The Smiths - the first track on their very first album "Reel Around The Fountain" - sublime lyrics and wonderful sound. Same goes for Morrisey - "Maudlin Street" brings tears to my eyes. A little goes a long way though.

Cheers

Phil

I'm Martin.

Name something.
    Of course I can but it's bound to offend someone's delicate sensibilities.

You got any albums with 'filler' tracks on them? There you go.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Name something.
    Played any Tiny Tim recently?

I'm Alan.

Bought a Blue Oyster Cult album because it had the current hit on it, the rest was shite
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Paul.

Of course I can but it's bound to offend someone's delicate sensibilities.

You got any albums with 'filler' tracks on them? There you go.
    One person's filler is another's favourite song.
    I love obscure album tracks !
    There's a DJ down here who does a request night and it's always fascinating hearing what gets played.
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Bought a Blue Oyster Cult album because it had the current hit on it, the rest was shite
    There's some right crap on BOC albums. That's a good example of what I'm talking about. Music by numbers.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast