+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: CD Revival?

  1. #11
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 20,206
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    Interesting conversation Actually, with digital I sit somewhere between CD Players and streaming. I generally buy used CDs as they are SO cheap these days and rip them to iTunes on my Mac, thence via DACs to my systems. However, if I my house burnt down and I had to start from scratch again I'd probably just subscribe to a streaming service such as Apple Music or Spotify Premium.

    Cheers

    Phil
    We are old folk now, and we like what we are used to. I find it hard to imagine not owning any music and instead just finding it by searching on a pad and pressing play. It may be more convenient, and there is no reason why it should sound any different to playing a cd, but I don't like it.

    But the youngsters find it all very bizarre. They want Kylie, they just search 'Kylie' and pick the song they want to hear. And I'll grant you there are plenty my age and older who are fine with that also. But there are a couple of unintended consequences.

    Firstly there is no incentive to sit down and listen to a whole album as a body of work. Just pick your favourite tracks and then move on to something else. That's a shame.

    Second, when I was a youth we would go to a mate's house on Friday night to play pool. He was the youngest of nine and his brothers and sisters had long since left home but had left behind their record collections. So this youth had about 600 vinyl albums spanning 1968 through 1982.

    As a result we discovered all the old stuff that we would not have been exposed to otherwise, except via the odd single release occasionally played on the radio. And are you ever going to hear, for example, 'Tull's 'Good Morning Weathercock' on the radio? No. No you're not.

    So how will today's youth get their musical education just listening to the odd Kylie track? Answer is, of course, that they won't, they will just continue to consume the modern pap because that is all they know. And if young people, in their ignorance, are happily consuming the pap then there is no incentive to produce anything better.
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

  2. #12
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Reading, UK

    Posts: 289

    Default

    I agree Martin but there is hope. The "vinyl revival" has given a new lease of life to independent record shops. I can never walk past a record shop without going in and when browsing I'm often listening to conversations and there are youngsters in there looking through the vinyl and getting really excited about music their parents used to listen to, etc. The best of these record shops have proprietors who actively encourage these youngsters, making recommendations, doing them deals, etc.

    A drop in the ocean maybe.......

  3. #13
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 17,419
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We are old folk now, and we like what we are used to. I find it hard to imagine not owning any music and instead just finding it by searching on a pad and pressing play. It may be more convenient, and there is no reason why it should sound any different to playing a cd, but I don't like it.

    But the youngsters find it all very bizarre. They want Kylie, they just search 'Kylie' and pick the song they want to hear. And I'll grant you there are plenty my age and older who are fine with that also. But there are a couple of unintended consequences.

    Firstly there is no incentive to sit down and listen to a whole album as a body of work. Just pick your favourite tracks and then move on to something else. That's a shame.

    Second, when I was a youth we would go to a mate's house on Friday night to play pool. He was the youngest of nine and his brothers and sisters had long since left home but had left behind their record collections. So this youth had about 600 vinyl albums spanning 1968 through 1982.

    As a result we discovered all the old stuff that we would not have been exposed to otherwise, except via the odd single release occasionally played on the radio. And are you ever going to hear, for example, 'Tull's 'Good Morning Weathercock' on the radio? No. No you're not.

    So how will today's youth get their musical education just listening to the odd Kylie track? Answer is, of course, that they won't, they will just continue to consume the modern pap because that is all they know. And if young people, in their ignorance, are happily consuming the pap then there is no incentive to produce anything better.
    My fiancé is of the same generation as me, but unlike me is perfectly au fait with using her smartphone to 'Google' a particular artist(e) for her to listen to. The ironic thing is that the artist(e)s she will search for are those she has heard being played on my system, either in vinyl or CD format. Very occasionally the process will be reversed - I will hear something she is playing on her phone, say "I like that, who is it?", and thence go off to buy the CD.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

  4. #14
    Join Date: Apr 2015

    Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

    Posts: 503
    I'm Paul.

    Default

    The reason cassettes and 8-tracks haven't enjoyed a revival is convenience : CD and vinyl let you skip to a certain track instantaneously, or as near as damn it, while cassettes took ages and lots of faffing, not to mention the potential chew-up situation.

    I don't think CDs will be back in any significant way either, because the convenience of storage with MP3s etc is overwhelming.

    The LP is more of a desirable object, a piece of art if you like, that can never be replicated by a CD or cassette.

    What I think is the saddest thing is those bleedin' suitcase record players.
    I know people who used to work with me in record shops that use them and it drives me nuts.
    They post pictures on social media saying "Enjoying the new .. blah blah .. record" and I see that flimsy tone-arm and that overhang from the 12" vinyl .. it beggars belief.

    .. and don't get me started on sound-bars
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7 > Musical Fidelity XLPS v3 Phono Stage
    Sony CDP-XE520 CD Player > SMSL Sanskrit DAC
    Pure DAB tuner
    Tisbury Mk.1 pre-amp > 2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps > Linn Kan mk.ii speakers on Kan stands and I'm about to do a handstand
    Grado SR80 headphones

    www.paulridgeblog.com

  5. #15
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 20,206
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    I'm less concerned about the crappy equipment. Someone listening to proper music on a Crossly is preferable to someone listening to shite on a £10K Linn.

    And before anyone write in to say that what is 'shite' is entirely subjective, I'd argue it isn't. There's music I don't like (The Smiths, for example), but that isn't shit music it is just not to my taste. Shit is completely different and very easy to spot.
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

  6. #16
    Join Date: Apr 2015

    Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

    Posts: 503
    I'm Paul.

    Default

    I'll argue with you



    There's no such thing as shit music.
    If someone likes it enough to buy it, it has a certain quality. End of.



    I used to say to my staff : if it pays your wages and keeps us in business then keep smiling, no matter what it is they're buying.

    How many of those people still work in record shops ?
    Virtually none because it's such a tiny business ..

    Don't get me started on RSD either. I know it's great to keep raising awareness of the existence of record shops in general, but I wouldn't buy anything that came out especially for it - 99% of it is exploitation IMHO.



    Oh, and I love The Smiths.

    Morrissey is an utter pillock these days, but he was the funniest lyricist on the planet since Tom Lehrer at one point.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7 > Musical Fidelity XLPS v3 Phono Stage
    Sony CDP-XE520 CD Player > SMSL Sanskrit DAC
    Pure DAB tuner
    Tisbury Mk.1 pre-amp > 2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps > Linn Kan mk.ii speakers on Kan stands and I'm about to do a handstand
    Grado SR80 headphones

    www.paulridgeblog.com

  7. #17
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 34,550
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    No one ever skinned up on a CD case and enjoyed it.
    Can't remember. Might have done.

  8. #18
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 20,206
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    I'll argue with you



    There's no such thing as shit music.
    If someone likes it enough to buy it, it has a certain quality. End of.
    So for something to be considered quality it only has to be paid for? I suspect Robert M Pirsig would have had something to say about that line of reasoning...
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

  9. #19
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 34,550
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We are old folk now.
    Speak for yourself. I don't feel old. (although there might be a chronological argument to support your point )

  10. #20
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 34,550
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Someone listening to proper music on a Crossly is preferable to someone listening to shite on a £10K Linn
    I very much agree with this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •