+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: CD Revival?

I'm gone.

I had a trial fortnight with idagio, a classical only streaming service.
    They've thought out the indexing and search facilities quite well for classical.
    Sadly, they are still coming up to speed in terms of catalogue and are way behind Spotify and Qobuz etc.
    Their standard service is CD quality at £10 per month.

I'm one of the poor buggers who is perfectly happy with streaming.
    My favoured service is Qobuz, and I only really listen to classical. Uniquely (?) the Qobuz listings are indexed by recording company (e.g. Decca, ECM etc) which is a very powerful way of finding new to me music and recordings.

I'm David.

There's a heck of a lot of relatively obscure music - free jazz, contemporary classical, etc - that was only ever issued on CD in very limited quantities, and which will probably never be reissued, nor available on a streaming service. Perhaps not enough to trigger a revival of the CD format, but certainly enough to maintain ongoing interest in it, and decent prices on ebay for rare items.

I'm Graham.

My niece lives in a village in central Lincolnshire quite near the town of Bourne. She cannot get a broadband service. She gets dial-up speeds and cannot stream anything. CD and vinyl are her only sources. I visit often and enjoy listening to whatever CDs she has recently bought. I have been having broadband speed problems for the past week or so - I live not two clicks from a major exchange but my download speed has deteriorated to less that 4.5kBps. I pay for 20! My provider is Sky, who say that they are "working on it." If I didn't have my CDs and my Vinyls I would have nothing.

It will be a while before I consign my music pleasures to a "streaming" source, if ever.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I have Spotify but my main use of it is to identify whether a particular album is worth buying or not in LP or CD format.

I do pity the poor buggers who imagine their streamed version is anything close to what can be had via LP.
    Depends on what you're looking for in a listening experience and how good your streaming set up is.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

streaming can be superb, done right. as can vinyl and cd.. all just different ways to a goal
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I have been having broadband speed problems for the past week or so - I live not two clicks from a major exchange but my download speed has deteriorated to less that 4.5kBps.
    Mine is as poor sometimes and not much better at the best of times and I'm in West London!

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I think I may be right in predicting that before too long, CD's will go through a similar revival in interest and 'fashionability' to that experienced by records some years ago, bringing them to their undeniable current popularity.

Some manufacturers are introducing new high spec CD players and transports. Have they spotted a trend? I have a feeling there is the beginnings of one.

CD's are very cheap at the moment. Is this the time to start stocking up?

Fortunately, I have nearly all the CD's I'm likely to want and several decent players and DAC's, so I suppose I'm ahead of the game .

I've not noticed a trend but I have (within the last year) been buying plenty of CDs. My main reasoning is to hear my favourite songs in a higher quality than Spotify. I hope there isn't such a revival, judging by the price of vinyls at the moment, I definitely don't want CDs going the same way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789