+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CD Revival?

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    Name something.
    I honestly can't see how you can
    Everything that Art Garfunkel did without Paul Simon, I honestly can't see how you can tell me I'm wrong ;-)

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Bought a Blue Oyster Cult album because it had the current hit on it, the rest was shite
    And THATS where streaming comes in.
    Spotify...hear the album...naa..(or yes)

Blue Oyster Cult...Maybe just needs more Cowbell?
    http://dai.ly/x64iyhl
    Last edited by Gazjam; 19-04-2018 at 17:59.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Adam.

I rip all my CDs to my Hard Drive to play via my Raspberry Pi / Wolfson Audio Card via SqueezePlug.

The Pi feeds via the Wolfson's Co-ax into the Digital input of my Creek 50CD CD Player and Dac.

But I still keep all the CDs in a large cabinet in my listening room. This not only means I can read the booklets whilst playing the Flacs but also that they are to hand (in case of I.T failures etc) to play as CDs in the Creek 50CD.

One of the best things about continuing to buy CDs is that you can choose the "mastering". With so many CDs having had their sound ruined in the Loudness wars since the latest 90s. It is often nice to go back to an 80s or early 90s version. If you subscribe to a streaming service you often just get given the latest compressed mastering.

I don't think CDs will get a Vinyl style Hipster appreciation. However, there will still be folks who appreciate good sound quality and continue to seek out their preferred CD masterings on disc.
    Adam.

I'm Martin.

I agree with Phil Bishop that CD does not have the tactile nature and novelty appeal thats driving the main part of the vinyl revival.

Its interesting the vintage cd players (ie the first generation and shortly afterwards) are being marketed now as having an analogue sound yet the vinyl enthusuasts hated them when they first came out.....So someone may be telling porkies

So there is a revival of first generation players...thats where the nostalgia revival is going on

I love cd and I will never forget that first feeling of hearing silence where there was supposed to be silence. It may not have been the last word in sound but the dynamics and lack of a noise floor were stunning. There was just something about it that was hard to put a finger on.

I am however gradually beginning to treat them as just things to rip onto computer.

Cds are a large part of my adult life. I will always have a player so I cant really talk in terms of a cd revival
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 19-04-2018 at 17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Everything that Art Garfunkel did without Paul Simon, I honestly can't see how you can tell me I'm wrong ;-)
    Art Garfunkel's "Breakaway" album was key to my wife and myself getting together in the 80's

OK, it's a bit cheesy but it still remains a firm favourite.

....and what about "Bright Eyes" - surely it brings tears to your eyes too? Those poor little fluffy bunnies

For my part, I'll nominate the worst excesses of Prog as being unlistenable - I'm talking about just about anything by Yes or ELP - oh dear, now I'm in trouble.....

I'm Alan.

Too right you're in trouble. I can't say I'm a big Prog fan but I do have stuff from Yes, Caravan and Rick Wakeman in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Too right you're in trouble. I can't say I'm a big Prog fan but I do have stuff from Yes, Caravan and Rick Wakeman in my collection.
    Don't worry, Caravan's "In The Land Of Grey & Pink" is one of my all time favourite LPs Additionally, in the spirit of this thread it sounds best on vinyl to my ears - the CD remasters have never captured the wonderful SQ - Deram pressings always were amazing.

Prog produced some gems such as the aforementioned LP but also some stuff that I find totally unlistenable these days.

I'm Shaun.

Revival..? I wasn't aware it had gone away.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    Art Garfunkel's "Breakaway" album was key to my wife and myself getting together in the 80's

OK, it's a bit cheesy but it still remains a firm favourite.

....and what about "Bright Eyes" - surely it brings tears to your eyes too? Those poor little fluffy bunnies

For my part, I'll nominate the worst excesses of Prog as being unlistenable - I'm talking about just about anything by Yes or ELP - oh dear, now I'm in trouble.....
    Aaah, well if it works like that I might try it on the missus one more time ;-)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    So for something to be considered quality it only has to be paid for? I suspect Robert M Pirsig would have had something to say about that line of reasoning...
    Didn't the 'jeweller' Robert Ratner have something to say on the matter?
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast