+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stereo reciever purchase considerations....

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rogue View Post
    Oh, well, I want to get another fuller size streaming amp/receiver and rather than go down the range, I want to go up. I wouldn't buy powered speaker if I was starting from scratch.
    If you want to get a receiver then you are going to have to get passive speakers. You could use the pre out from the receiver into your Yamahas but that means you just paid for a power amp you don't need. There's nothing wrong with powered speakers in principle. If you want to improve sound quality from them then look at improving the source and pre-amplifier.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If you have active speakers, you just need a pre-amp to drive them and not a whole amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I think Steve wants a streaming tuner/pre-amp by the sound of it to drive the active speaker power-amps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    It looks like the OP has one?,see his signature

Yeah guys. I do have the Yamaha pre-amp but if I'm honest, there's not much 'beef' there with the speaker on 3/4 volume and the pre-amp pretty much the same to get anything like decent volume. Although the sub does add a lot. So I was going to go the full receiver amp route. I've been looking at the Yamaha R-N830D and maybe some floor standing KEF speakers. Peter Tyson do some good deals on packages. The Yamaha has 2 optical inputs which would solve my original problem detailed elsewhere on the forum - and there's room for expansion if and when needed. I'm not interested in full blown AV - although I would hope the speakers are shielded in case they end up near a TV. Unless that isn't a problem these days, like it used to be?
    2TB Brennan fed through a Yamaha RN-803D network amp via toslink. The speakers are floor-standing Q Acoustics Concept 40s on spikes. Next up, CD player, turntable, possible sub.

I'm Geoff.

You won't get huge 'clout' with 6.5 inch bass units. The sub will extend the bass and give it more solidity, but basically, you need cone area to get wallop!

We've just been having a big debate about this very topic. If you have the patience, read through this and you'll see: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-for-BIG-sound

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you want to get a receiver then you are going to have to get passive speakers. You could use the pre out from the receiver into your Yamahas but that means you just paid for a power amp you don't need. There's nothing wrong with powered speakers in principle. If you want to improve sound quality from them then look at improving the source and pre-amplifier.
    The more I look at the set ups available to more I think I will get a whole new system, receiver, passive speakers etc - see my reply to above posts! I'll transfer the small system to the bedroom or something.
    2TB Brennan fed through a Yamaha RN-803D network amp via toslink. The speakers are floor-standing Q Acoustics Concept 40s on spikes. Next up, CD player, turntable, possible sub.

I'm Geoff.

HaHa. Being here will be the ruin of you!

I'm Grant.

Shielding isnt an issue unless you still use an old crt tv. I would think what you have should sound louder than you say, so might be an impedance mismatch or something is wrong.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

HaHa. Being here will be the ruin of you!
    Cheers mate but what a way to be ruined!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Shielding isnt an issue unless you still use an old crt tv. I would think what you have should sound louder than you say, so might be an impedance mismatch or something is wrong.
    Ah, that's what I wanted to read - shielding no issue! Well the system I have behaves much like I was told and expected it would - I mean it sounds flawless, but volume is an issue. I'd rather have it loud enough and still see plenty left on the volume dial. any thoughts on this, and would adding a sub be a good thing?

https://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/y...-q550-speakers

Bare in mind guys I'm in a basement flat in central London so a 'little' consideration for the neighbours is a must. Although I'm in an old mansion block that has like 2' thick walls.

I'm Grant.

not a lot but a small one wight give a bit more bass.. remember bass travels a long way and is omnidirectional.. so will go through your ceiling into flats above more than normal music without heavy bass.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

You won't get huge 'clout' with 6.5 inch bass units. The sub will extend the bass and give it more solidity, but basically, you need cone area to get wallop!

We've just been having a big debate about this very topic. If you have the patience, read through this and you'll see: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-for-BIG-sound
    I did read through this. Given my environment I suspect that 'gigantic' sound such as this kind of equipment produces would see me inflicted with some kind of noise pollution order or something!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast