+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stereo reciever purchase considerations....

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not a lot but a small one wight give a bit more bass.. remember bass travels a long way and is omnidirectional.. so will go through your ceiling into flats above more than normal music without heavy bass.
    This is true, I did know about the omnidirectional thing with bass. But I'm gonna burn the midnight oil and kill this tonight. Credit card ready for the morning!
    2TB Brennan fed through a Yamaha RN-803D network amp via toslink. The speakers are floor-standing Q Acoustics Concept 40s on spikes. Next up, CD player, turntable, possible sub.

I'm Grant.

Maybe a headphone rig for night time would be better
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Maybe a headphone rig for night time would be better
    Oh man, that's a whole new thread that simply must be discussed once this one is done and dusted.
    2TB Brennan fed through a Yamaha RN-803D network amp via toslink. The speakers are floor-standing Q Acoustics Concept 40s on spikes. Next up, CD player, turntable, possible sub.

I'm Grant.

Love my cans. Lots of threads here to find on them
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Russell.

If you buy a par of KEF floor standing speakers and a fitting receiver to drive them I think you’ll be blown away at the difference over what you’ve been hearing! A great starting point to a respectable system, I think you would be very pleased to move in this direction. Add a record player, or CD player, or streaming setup, and you’ll be cooking with gas!

Russell

I'm Steve.

Russell, funny you should say that. This is what I've ordered;

https://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/y...pt-40-speakers

The speakers are not KEF, but this deal was pretty good and I have always liked the Yamaha stuff. I'm going to wait until I hear it in situ, before I decide if I get a sub or not.

I'm Geoff.

Steve,

I think you need to be precise about why you feel the need to change your system. As already noted, active speakers are self powered and will not work with other amplifiers, unless there is specific provision to bypass the internal amplification. Your front end components (Brennan and Yamaha streamer) seem fine, so the question is can you live with the active speakers? I have not heard them but Yamaha make some decent speakers. Since you are in London, it should be pretty easy to get a home demo of a pair of passive speakers and a decent receiver or amp. I would not consider spending more money on your system until you have a sense of what type of sound you aspire to. BTW, powerful amplification is not only about high sound levels, it is about control of the speaker and dynamics too.

Geoff

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Steve,

I think you need to be precise about why you feel the need to change your system. As already noted, active speakers are self powered and will not work with other amplifiers, unless there is specific provision to bypass the internal amplification. Your front end components (Brennan and Yamaha streamer) seem fine, so the question is can you live with the active speakers? I have not heard them but Yamaha make some decent speakers. Since you are in London, it should be pretty easy to get a home demo of a pair of passive speakers and a decent receiver or amp. I would not consider spending more money on your system until you have a sense of what type of sound you aspire to. BTW, powerful amplification is not only about high sound levels, it is about control of the speaker and dynamics too.

Geoff
    Hi Geoff. Yeah I think if I am completely honest, I bought the system, as it stands now, on a whim in the first place. As I've said elsewhere, there is nothing wrong with the sound, and the speakers are to my mind flawless. The limitations of the set up comes with the urge to expand. In my case it was (what I thought) a simple need to connect a Sky box. From that it was clear that 1 TosLink socket wasn't enough. it was natural for me to start eyeing up receivers/amps. Fact is I have bought and sold tech for the last 40 odd years - audio equipment, photography equipment. I doubt I'm much different to anyone else here. Originally I didn't want to do away with the Yamaha speakers and was just looking at amps - but therein lies the shortcomings of powered speakers. I'm not interested in a full AV set up, stereo is fine by me which is why I have concluded, at least for now that the Yamaha R-N803D receiver amp in the packages I have included in the post above. This package is pretty good VFM by the way. I haven't committed to a sub until I hear this in situ. I may even add a turntable and CD player at a later date. Such expansion is not possible with the small, but cute Yamaha pre-amp. And I am not doing away with this system, I am going to put it into my bedroom. And since this pre-amp and the R-N803D both support Yamaha's Musicast, its kind of keeping it all under the same umbrella. So I hear what you're saying, and yes I am buying a whole new system from scratch - but this is part of the fun, surely? YOLO, right?

I'm Steve.

Well, an update, I have received the Yamaha R-N803D plus the Q Acoustics concept 40 speakers. Set up was easy. The speakers sound as good as I expected them to - i'm not sure they are better than the powered Yamaha's they replace, but I need longer with them before I decide. Likewise, can't decide on a sub yet. Maybe the Yamaha's because they had a sub, compared to the Concept 40's, I don't know. The Yamaha receiver is a brick of a machine, its huge, and a solid build - and the expandable options are pretty much infinite, which is what I wanted in in the first place. Next up, or in the queue are possibly a sub, a CD player and I am toying with the idea of a turntable to revisit vinyl. This receiver is equipped to take all options. Let the fun begin.

I'm Martin.

Welcome to the wonderful world of spending shedloads on hi-fi
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast