+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technics SL-1210Mk2 Tonearm change ?

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead1707 View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I’m going to install DP6 to my SL1200. What’s your comment to this combo? Would you please share the photo of it? Thanks
    Sonically this works very well. Practically, it is not straightforward. I would not recommend mounting the DP6 if you're using a heavier arm wand and/or heavy cart. The problem with the DP6 is that the rear stub is very long and the counterweight is under slung. This means that if the cw needs to be moved back to balance out a heavier cart (and a heavy arm wand) it will hit the turntable plinth when the arm is lifted because the SL1200 arm board is recessed.

This was exactly the problem with my 14g blue dot precision arm wand with AT33PTG. I can still cue the arm manually but there is limited space to lift the arm without the cw hitting the plinth. My 4g green dot arm wand with a Stanton cart works fine as the cw is close to the arm pivot. The other problem is that the SL1200 platter is too low and on some carts the DP6 cannot be lowered sufficiently for correct VTA. And even if this was possible the cw will then touch the plinth. You could raise the height of the record with a thicker mat but the spindle may not be long enough. Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm bighead.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post
    Sonically this works very well. Practically, it is not straightforward. I would not recommend mounting the DP6 if you're using a heavier arm wand and/or heavy cart. The problem with the DP6 is that the rear stub is very long and the counterweight is under slung. This means that if the cw needs to be moved back to balance out a heavier cart (and a heavy arm wand) it will hit the turntable plinth when the arm is lifted because the SL1200 arm board is recessed.

This was exactly the problem with my 14g blue dot precision arm wand with AT33PTG. I can still cue the arm manually but there is limited space to lift the arm without the cw hitting the plinth. My 4g green dot arm wand with a Stanton cart works fine as the cw is close to the arm pivot. The other problem is that the SL1200 platter is too low and on some carts the DP6 cannot be lowered sufficiently for correct VTA. And even if this was possible the cw will then touch the plinth. You could raise the height of the record with a thicker mat but the spindle may not be long enough. Hope this helps.
    I see. Is there any photo helping my imagination for fitting? Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12