+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The benefits of a better tuner

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Quad FM4, I remember reading that it needs to be fed in to a high impedance input otherwise bass will be curtailed. Of course Quad pe-amps are suitable.
    Agreed - a simple 'upgrade' to the Quad FM4 is to increase the value of the series output capacitor for each channel.
    Barry

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    God bless,

That’s a list!! Where on earth did that come from and by whom??

Not my choice of great tuners that’s for sure!

How bizarre!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pretty famous that list Peter, the sort of bible of FM tuners. The website is fantastic just google it.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    Pretty famous that list Peter, the sort of bible of FM tuners. The website is fantastic just google it.
    Already have, it's the biggest load of tosh I've ever have the pleasure to view.

Did the reviewers have a hearing problem? Are you telling me that after 50 + years of listening to FM this list is correct!

It's a very sad list indeed.... But hay, we all have our own views. I would take it all with a pinch of salt.

I would suggest you get yourself a Dynalab Etude and judge for yourself. Plus there are many other fabulous Tuners not even mentioned.

Still, it's bedtime for me.... So I will say no more.

The FM Bible.... I heard it all now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm phil.

Got a Onix BWD and soap not using might get it out.
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Nigel.

Must agree with Peter on this one. I have owned and listened to a good number of tuners over the years.
    The rankings on that list are not what I have heard tbh, not even a mention of the B&O Beomaster 5000 from circa 1967/68, probably one of the best ever FM only tuners made, but that is my opinion.

Agree about the Quad FM4, change the caps and you have a very good tuner, just keep a eye on the memory battery inside, there is an upgrade available to sort that issue though.

I own a Yamaha CT7000 and can testify that the Magnum Dynalab beats it easily, as does the Beomaster, my favourite 3 that I own and use are the Beomaster, the Magnum and the Quad FM4.

Other people will probably disagree.

Nigel

I'm David.

I'm sorry to have stirred things up so much, I can't really comment on tuner hierarchy having only owned a few of those on that list and then in several systems over a period of over 30 years. I clearly I need to look at the caps in my Quad, can you tell me where I can get this done please? If with new caps it can compete with the Etude my wife will be very pleased as she prefers the buttons for changing channels. I think I will still prefer the Etude though.

David Whistance

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    ... a mention of the B&O Beomaster 5000 from circa 1967/68, probably one of the best .....

Nigel
    Ah, takes me back to '69 to '71, when a few B &O pieces came my way. I vaguely remember this tuner, but could be getting confused with the Beolab 3000, which incorporated the FM only tuner. I thought these were the dog's b's at the time.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    I'm sorry to have stirred things up so much, I can't really comment on tuner hierarchy having only owned a few of those on that list and then in several systems over a period of over 30 years. I clearly I need to look at the caps in my Quad, can you tell me where I can get this done please? If with new caps it can compete with the Etude my wife will be very pleased as she prefers the buttons for changing channels. I think I will still prefer the Etude though.

David Whistance
    dadaelectronics.eu
    Barry

I'm Nigel.

https://beocentral.com/beomaster5000-1960s

This one

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Ah, takes me back to '69 to '71, when a few B &O pieces came my way. I vaguely remember this tuner, but could be getting confused with the Beolab 3000, which incorporated the FM only tuner. I thought these were the dog's b's at the time.

I'm Russell.

I too have an FT 101, and I agree that it is surprisingly good! It bested every other tuner I’ve tried, which is a short list but it’s good enough I’ve stopped looking.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast