I have recently moved in with my partner, which has meant my Hi-Fi has gone into storage . We are currently looking for a new home together, which will have a dedicated listening room but this could be quite awhile away before this happens!

So in the mean time, i'm thinking of getting some headphones ( i did have a pair of Grado 125's but god knows where they have gone ) and maybe an amp if needed.

I will be listening to vinyl through my modded Technics. I have a couple of options amp wise. Option 1 is to use a Technics VC-4 and use the headphone output from that. I have no idea of the quality of this amp as i haven't used it yet! I think it's from the 80's but that's all i know about it. I bought it from a customer while i was working, with the intention of a second system which never happened. Option 2 is to use my Croft and also get a headphone amp.

So with a budget of say £2-300 would i be better off getting a set of HP and using the Technics VC-4? Or using the Croft and splitting the budget between HP and HP amp?

I mostly listen to Electronica/Dub/funk/Afrobeat/Hip-Hop with a smaller dose of rock/indie/acoustic.

So what way would you recommend and what HP and HP amp would suit budget and musical tastes?