+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Using a DAC to improve streaming audio

  1. #1
    Join Date: Apr 2018

    Location: Wisconsin

    Posts: 3
    I'm Nathan.

    Default Using a DAC to improve streaming audio

    Hello,

    Admittedly I am super new to this stuff and not very knowledgeable on many of these topics but in reading other posts I have been encouraged to post my questions. I am interested in maybe using a DAC between my receiver and digital devices. I know my receiver has one built in but would maybe like to see if an external DAC could improve the sound. Would there be an advantage to using a DAC in this situation?

    I currently use a Etekcity Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Receiver Audio Adapter to hook up any devices for streaming. I have seen some DACs also support bluetooth in the unit which could maybe replace the adapter entirely.

    For other digital devices I would like to hook up a cd player soon. Nothing special, maybe a portable CD player just to get started and eventually I would like to have a NAS storage for my digital music. I also route my TV through my receiver. I don't really have interest in a 5.1 surround or anything just a 2.1 for now. If I purchase a DAC can I route all of these devices through a single DAC or would I need a dedicated DAC for each digital source? Is a DAC a good investment for my current setup? I'm looking for something pretty basic (under $200) for now. Any advice or information would be welcome.

    Thanks,
    Nathan

  2. #2
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 44,825
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    ay well be an improvement on your current one, although using bluetooth 4.0, you might not notice is so much, as it is not redbook. Some bluetooths are ok, and i use it occasionally myself but its not as good as full fat redbook.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

  3. #3
    Join Date: Apr 2018

    Location: Wisconsin

    Posts: 3
    I'm Nathan.

    Default

    Hello again friends. I'm still wanting some advice on to he DAC thing.

    1. Is it pronounced dee-ay-see or dakk?
    2. Would a DAC improve the sound of streaming audio over the Bluetooth adapter?
    3. Would i see a greater improvement if i plugged in my phone or computer directly into the DAC?
    4. Does a DAC support multiple inputs or do you need a dedicated DAC for each digital input?
    5. Based on my current setup is this a logical place to invest $100-$200 or should I be trying to upgrade elsewhere? I'm fairly happy with my speakers for now and am have a turntable that just needs a belt and some cleaning up (a Pioneer pl-516). The belt is in the mail so that should be cool.

    Thanks,
    Nathan

  4. #4
    Join Date: Feb 2008

    Location: http://www.homehifi.co.uk

    Posts: 6,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buggo View Post
    Hello again friends. I'm still wanting some advice on to he DAC thing.

    1. Is it pronounced dee-ay-see or dakk?
    2. Would a DAC improve the sound of streaming audio over the Bluetooth adapter?
    3. Would i see a greater improvement if i plugged in my phone or computer directly into the DAC?
    4. Does a DAC support multiple inputs or do you need a dedicated DAC for each digital input?
    5. Based on my current setup is this a logical place to invest $100-$200 or should I be trying to upgrade elsewhere? I'm fairly happy with my speakers for now and am have a turntable that just needs a belt and some cleaning up (a Pioneer pl-516). The belt is in the mail so that should be cool.

    Thanks,
    Nathan
    1. Why complicate things? It is either DAC, or D A C. There is no k or s in it.
    2. You won't get out more than you put in.
    3. You can't just plug a phone into a DAC. Some phones are DAC compatible, whilst others are not. As for improvements: you won't know till you try.
    4. Some DACs have multiple inputs, whilst others don't.
    5. That is a decision that only you can decide.

  5. #5
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 35,252
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Phonetically it is pronounced by most as 'dak' though.

  6. #6
    Join Date: Feb 2008

    Location: http://www.homehifi.co.uk

    Posts: 6,102

    Default

    That reminds me of the Dutch argument if it is a f or a v.

  7. #7
    Join Date: Apr 2008

    Location: Warrington

    Posts: 2,925
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    1. Why complicate things? It is either DAC, or D A C. There is no k or s in it.
    2. You won't get out more than you put in.
    3. You can't just plug a phone into a DAC. Some phones are DAC compatible, whilst others are not. As for improvements: you won't know till you try.
    4. Some DACs have multiple inputs, whilst others don't.
    5. That is a decision that only you can decide.
    Just on 2, Bluetooth is lossy and does transcoding, so the answer is yes, it will be an improvement, with either SPDIF or USB offering lossless, uncompressed playback.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

  8. #8
    Join Date: Apr 2008

    Location: Warrington

    Posts: 2,925
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    That reminds me of the Dutch argument if it is a f or a v.
    Yes or yesh?
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread



 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •