+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using a DAC to improve streaming audio

I'm Nathan.

Default Using a DAC to improve streaming audio

Hello,

Admittedly I am super new to this stuff and not very knowledgeable on many of these topics but in reading other posts I have been encouraged to post my questions. I am interested in maybe using a DAC between my receiver and digital devices. I know my receiver has one built in but would maybe like to see if an external DAC could improve the sound. Would there be an advantage to using a DAC in this situation?

I currently use a Etekcity Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Receiver Audio Adapter to hook up any devices for streaming. I have seen some DACs also support bluetooth in the unit which could maybe replace the adapter entirely.

For other digital devices I would like to hook up a cd player soon. Nothing special, maybe a portable CD player just to get started and eventually I would like to have a NAS storage for my digital music. I also route my TV through my receiver. I don't really have interest in a 5.1 surround or anything just a 2.1 for now. If I purchase a DAC can I route all of these devices through a single DAC or would I need a dedicated DAC for each digital source? Is a DAC a good investment for my current setup? I'm looking for something pretty basic (under $200) for now. Any advice or information would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Nathan

I'm Grant.

ay well be an improvement on your current one, although using bluetooth 4.0, you might not notice is so much, as it is not redbook. Some bluetooths are ok, and i use it occasionally myself but its not as good as full fat redbook.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Nathan.

Hello again friends. I'm still wanting some advice on to he DAC thing.

1. Is it pronounced dee-ay-see or dakk?
    2. Would a DAC improve the sound of streaming audio over the Bluetooth adapter?
    3. Would i see a greater improvement if i plugged in my phone or computer directly into the DAC?
    4. Does a DAC support multiple inputs or do you need a dedicated DAC for each digital input?
    5. Based on my current setup is this a logical place to invest $100-$200 or should I be trying to upgrade elsewhere? I'm fairly happy with my speakers for now and am have a turntable that just needs a belt and some cleaning up (a Pioneer pl-516). The belt is in the mail so that should be cool.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by buggo View Post
    Hello again friends. I'm still wanting some advice on to he DAC thing.

1. Is it pronounced dee-ay-see or dakk?
    2. Would a DAC improve the sound of streaming audio over the Bluetooth adapter?
    3. Would i see a greater improvement if i plugged in my phone or computer directly into the DAC?
    4. Does a DAC support multiple inputs or do you need a dedicated DAC for each digital input?
    5. Based on my current setup is this a logical place to invest $100-$200 or should I be trying to upgrade elsewhere? I'm fairly happy with my speakers for now and am have a turntable that just needs a belt and some cleaning up (a Pioneer pl-516). The belt is in the mail so that should be cool.

Thanks,
    Nathan
    1. Why complicate things? It is either DAC, or D A C. There is no k or s in it.
    2. You won't get out more than you put in.
    3. You can't just plug a phone into a DAC. Some phones are DAC compatible, whilst others are not. As for improvements: you won't know till you try.
    4. Some DACs have multiple inputs, whilst others don't.
    5. That is a decision that only you can decide.

I'm Geoff.

Phonetically it is pronounced by most as 'dak' though.

That reminds me of the Dutch argument if it is a f or a v.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    1. Why complicate things? It is either DAC, or D A C. There is no k or s in it.
    2. You won't get out more than you put in.
    3. You can't just plug a phone into a DAC. Some phones are DAC compatible, whilst others are not. As for improvements: you won't know till you try.
    4. Some DACs have multiple inputs, whilst others don't.
    5. That is a decision that only you can decide.
    Just on 2, Bluetooth is lossy and does transcoding, so the answer is yes, it will be an improvement, with either SPDIF or USB offering lossless, uncompressed playback.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    That reminds me of the Dutch argument if it is a f or a v.
    Yes or yesh?
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread