+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clamp for rega rp3

I'm richard.

Default Clamp for rega rp3

I found a good dozen of record's with playable warps and dishes etc. Would like to try a clamp - not weight - to see if a clamp could reduce the warps a bit.

Question is then, for Rega owners (short spindle) which one do you use for this sort of job ?

Ta!

I'm Mel.

I use thisMichell clamp with success on my Rega.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/mic...urntables.html

Mel

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    I use thisMichell clamp with success on my Rega.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/mic...urntables.html

Mel
    Cheers Mel - I had seen that one but it's good to know it works for you on the short Rega spindle as fitting and effectiveness was my concern.

Certainly not 'sound' as a lot of users seem to claim. I've used clamps on other decks in the past and never heard any difference

regards
    richard

I'm steve.

I use a Michell clamp on my 2016 P3 but I had to do an upgrade on the subplatter to use it as the spindle on the standard Delrin one was too short. Got it from a British firm called 33rpmengineering, beautifully made and very reasonable price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subplatte...cAAOSwJWFafuzS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm gerald.

Order a rubber hockey puck off ebay drill a centre hole 3/4 through it and you have a fantastic record clamp for pennies

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    Order a rubber hockey puck off ebay drill a centre hole 3/4 through it and you have a fantastic record clamp for pennies
    I have a drilled hockey puck, best to drill the hole slightly undersize so it grips the spindle, as good as anything for 3 or 4 quid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm richard.

... And that helps reduce the warps? OK I'll give it a go! Can't get cheaper than that lol! Thanks guys
    😁

I'm Mel.

I don’t use any clamp or weight on normal listening as I do not find any benefit. The Michell clamp is only to reduce warp on records I rip - if they are bent I don’t play them for normal listening. A weight won’t reduce warp based on my experience with a 500 grm item.

My previous Orbe with clamp was a different beast all together and would even remove warps from records if left clamped for a week or two. The Orbe has a spindle which is slightly raised and the clamp has an outer lip which in effect very slightly dishes the record down. This is one of the features which makes the Orbe a great deck.

Mel

I'm Martin.

Yes Ive still got the email from Michell about spindle length and the Rega version. It would seem I need the Rega version if I am to try this...I can always take it to a Rega eventually. Michell say 6.5mm clearance normally and 4.5mm for the Rega version

I have a Dual with a tapered spindle and I was just checking what clearance of the normal spindle thickness I would need.

Its probably a bit of a non starter on this Dual as I only have about 4 to 5mm of spindle before it starts tapering for about 1cm. I havent done the finest measurements yet and there may only be 4mm at best above the record to play with before it starts tapering away.

Any suggestions please for a tapered spindle top or is a clamp out of the question?....perhaps a weight is an option but I dont want to strain this type of bearing

I would not bother - have tried them in the past and they really make little audible difference IMO. Very few records lie totally flat. Likewise, very few records are so warped as to be unplayable.

All IMHO.

Phil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast