+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chester Hifi Show 2018

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I've never understood the "it sounds like the gig" argument when it comes to rock music. What you're hearing at a (large) rock gig is the PA, and most rock gigs I've been to - and I've been to a lot - sound fairly horrible. However, you put up with it because "the event" and it's atmosphere and sense of occasion are more important than the quality of the sound.
    Indeed, but in terms of the goals we have with our systems, as hi-fi enthusiasts (to try and reproduce the original sound as accurately as possible), then surely if you're playing a good live recording of a rock gig, especially one at which you attended, then you want it to sound as close as possible (in the right way) to how it did when you were there?

And there are ways and means of achieving that, without it sounding like you're listening to a bad PA stack. That's certainly what I strive to do with appropriate recordings.

Fortunately, in that respect,, I live in a detached house with very solid walls, and have no immediate neighbours!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Martin.

You're not listening to a recording of the PA system though, your listening to a recording of the feed from the desk, and any subsequent post-production they have done on it, overdubs etc ; there are all sorts of tweaks they can do. So it's no different to a studio album in that respect.

For true accuracy you need to recreate how it sounded in the mastering suite. Good luck!
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You're not listening to a recording of the PA system though, your listening to a recording of the feed from the desk...
    Precisely, which is why you can get the music to sound good in your system, rather than like a distorted PA stack!

Plus, if you play it loudly enough, and your system can handle that properly, without it falling apart [easier said than done], you can successfully recreate a snapshot of the visceral impact and 'trouser-flapping' effect you experienced at the gig - all combining to help you experience some of what you did when you were there, and therefore make what you hear at home with the recording, sound more convincing.

For me, with that type of music, that's the whole point of owning the type of system I do. Different rules of course may apply with some other types of music.

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Martin.

Yes, not everyone wants it presented like that, with all the visceral impact, and that's understandable even if it does make them a bit odd
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm Alan.

We have been to a couple of gigs at the Robin 2 very recently, JCM and a Dire Straits tribute called Money For Nothing.
    Everything was miked through the PA and didn't lack any visceral impact but it was too loud.

The venue is quite a reverberant space with hard walls and domed ceiling and I think it would sound better turned down a notch.
    Afterwards I asked the sound engineer what the max rating of the PA was, for interest, and he said it was 6kW. It is an old Peavy installation and had been running at 1kW output so he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes, not everyone wants it presented like that, with all the visceral impact, and that's understandable even if it does make them a bit odd
    Lol... I think Tony Sallis (Coherent) is on record saying something along the lines of people have a 'realism scale' that they want (and can handle) from their systems, from 1-10.

Me? In that respect, I'm a 10, whereas some folks may only be a 6 or 7... I think it's a valid point, and obviously based on his considerable experience of selling all manner of different systems to his customers!

Plus, you can want to be a 10, but simply not possess the knowledge or necessary experience to build such a system, or indeed have the wherewithal to buy it in the first place.

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Jerry.

I want to be an 8.
    Dynamically, I often want the music at a bit less than full throttle.

In terms of transparency and detail I want to be a 12.
    Mrs J has been known to say (critically) that you can hear more of what's going on with my system than at a typical concert.

So maybe I average out at 10.
    Jerry

Qobuz Hifi / Spotify Premium streaming, Topping D30 DAC with lpsu, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50M monoblocks, MBL 116F speakers.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

Cool... As far as I'm concerned, nothing can ever sound 'too real', so I want it, warts and all! I would never deliberately 'tone down' a recording. It simply is what it is.

However, whether I've actually achieved a 10, in the respect, with my system is another matter. I've certainly striven for it

Marco.

P.S You can have dynamics, transparency AND detail. They aren't mutually exclusive!

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    P.S You can have dynamics, transparency and detail. They aren't mutually exclusive!
    Sure.
    But my preference is for 8 & 12, resp.
    Jerry

Qobuz Hifi / Spotify Premium streaming, Topping D30 DAC with lpsu, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50M monoblocks, MBL 116F speakers.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

But, if you can, why not try and have it all...? I would never knowingly trade one for the other. For me, that's a sure way of turning a system into a one (or two)-trick pony!

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast