+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chester Hifi Show 2018

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Ben,

If the person concerned was, Geoff, the owner of Acoustica (whom I know well), I'm a little surprised, as he's usually switched on enough to know that's not how to treat your potential customers. Btw, the Ferrari could well have been his, as he loves his sports cars!

Since I gave up on Naim (and indeed most currently produced hi-fi equipment), I no longer attend 'hi-fi shows' that are designed simply to promote a particular dealer's product range, in this case that of Acoustica.

However, I'm surprised that the sounds heard by visitors weren't better, as he used to know what he was doing.

Marco.
    Marco

It won't have been Geoff - he's running the show, not the rooms, of which there were around 10-15. I think he's more of a Porsche guy, from what I gather.

As for the sounds, the reports are pretty consistent, however surprised you might be.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    It's a bit of a conundrum. Usually I find stunning rock systems don't do simpler music with magic. It's certainly possible to find a decent compromise but if you want that certain magic with simpler high quality recordings then a good rock system doesn't cut it. Multiple systems and rooms.......and deep pockets is one answer.
    Surely a good system is just that, regardless of the musical genre? If it favours a particular genre, I would suggest that its not a good system, unless that was the deliberate intent of whoever put the system together, which is fine of course.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What exactly is an 'aggressive speaker'?
    Zu, for example.
    Account Deleted

I'm Gary.

I live down the road from Acoustica and the Doubletree in Chester. I drive past both at least twice a week, I didn't even know the show was taking place until it was too late to go.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeamgls View Post
    Marco

It won't have been Geoff - he's running the show, not the rooms, of which there were around 10-15. I think he's more of a Porsche guy, from what I gather.

As for the sounds, the reports are pretty consistent, however surprised you might be.
    Hi Neil,

Yup, but he's normally rather hands on and fussy about standards, so I'm surprised the folk working for him weren't 'up to snuff'... Not to worry, the proof of the pudding is in what you experienced at the show, which is disappointing

Yes I know he's a Porsche guy, but he's also into other types of nice cars, so a Ferrari wouldn't be out of the question. Bad attitude and poor sounds... Standards have slipped at Acoustica since I was there!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Zu, for example.
    I told my Zu Omen Defs that you called them aggressive, and they're coming round to kick your ass!

Only kidding, I managed to calm them down by playing some Norah Jones
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Anyone coming to the North West Audio Show in June is welcome to ask me to play anything they like, including classical, on vinyl or CD! I'll be doing mono, too.
    I'll be asking for "Big Six" by Judge Dread

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I'll be asking for "Big Six" by Judge Dread
    Whatever that is, I'll still play it.

I'm Steve.

Thanks Hugo, but I won't hold you to that. Like "F**k Off" by Wayne County And The Electric Chairs, it's a song that'll clear a room.

Look forward to seeing you at the show though, with a more appropriate request

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    It's a bit of a conundrum. Usually I find stunning rock systems don't do simpler music with magic. It's certainly possible to find a decent compromise but if you want that certain magic with simpler high quality recordings then a good rock system doesn't cut it. Multiple systems and rooms.......and deep pockets is one answer.
    Spot on, Clive, no system does it all.

Given the amazing breadth of what is called music it would be astonishing if one system could cover it all.
    A system which can really boogie with reggae music will likely fall flat on its face when asked to present a string quartet or girl with guitar or Peruvian nose flute.

All any of us do is select a system that covers our own limited choice of music as best it can.

You do see reports of mega rich buggers who have multiple top flight systems, and the rooms to put them in, to address this very issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast