+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chester Hifi Show 2018

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    A system which can really boogie with reggae music will likely fall flat on its face when asked to present a string quartet or girl with guitar or Peruvian nose flute.
    Sorry, Jerry. I disagree, although just with the "fall flat on its face" bit

In my view, a really good system ('tuned' to the musical tastes of its owner, if the owner has good ears), and taking the above as an example, should excel with reggae music *or* when presenting a string quartet (whichever its owner prefers), and do justice to the other, i.e. reproduce it with some competence, not fall flat on its face.

If a system falls flat on its face, when reproducing ANY kind of music, then it's not fit for purpose. A really good system should do justice to ALL types of music, albeit excelling with some more than others. I'd expect your system to do that, not fall on its face, as indeed does mine.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Jerry.

My experience, repeated on many occasions, is that a system set up by someone who doesn't listen at all to classical but that is really enjoyable at rock music is very seldom acceptable with classical ... I mean grossly flawed, horrible! Unlistenable. Errr, falls flat on its face.
    The response I usually get is an unconcerned shrug and "but I don't listen to classical".
    And that's fair enough, imo.
    Jerry

Qobuz Hifi / Spotify Premium streaming, Xiang Sheng DAC-01A (WE valve), Schiit Saga passive preamp, Trigon TRE 50 monoblocks, MBL 116F.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Well, not for me it wouldn't. My system, although not perfect (no system is) plays all types of music to a high standard, including classical, which I listen to a lot, and that should apply to any really good system worthy of the name.

The problem is, too many folks have rather insular tastes in music, and that ultimately reflects on how they sound!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Jerry.

But you listen to some classical and therefore that is included in the musical mix when you set up your system.

My point, and I suspect it is not limited to classical, is that a musical genre not in a system builder's preference box has to take pot luck if it is played on that system - and often the results will not be pretty!
    Jerry

Qobuz Hifi / Spotify Premium streaming, Xiang Sheng DAC-01A (WE valve), Schiit Saga passive preamp, Trigon TRE 50 monoblocks, MBL 116F.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234