+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Chester Hifi Show 2018

montesquieu Guest

Gosh this has all moved on a bit since I last logged in.

On the diffraction issue ... I recall once I was considering mounting my then 15in Monitor Golds from the back - utilising what I thought was the foam round the edge of the driver to 'seal' the joint (because it looks like a gasket), then reading that it was actually there to assist with diffraction effects that would otherwise be an issue with the usual large baffles they are put in.

Unfortunately a 5min google hasn't turned up the link. But it seems plausible. Certainly for all the size of the baffles on mine, they image superbly. So there's clearly more to imaging than cat coffin chic!

I'm Steve.

Wouldn't the loudspeaker designs that have small(ish drivers on a tall narrow front, and large woofers on the sides not potentially provide all the required qualities? i.e. narrow front for less edge dispersion (so better imaging) combined with bass units in a wide baffle for deep bass and slam?

In theory this design should have all the qualities that everyone posting on this thread seems to want.

If I'm being a bit naïve be kind to me, I don't normally post on anything technical, due to a paucity of required grey matter
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    On the diffraction issue ... I recall once I was considering mounting my then 15in Monitor Golds from the back - utilising what I thought was the foam round the edge of the driver to 'seal' the joint (because it looks like a gasket), then reading that it was actually there to assist with diffraction effects that would otherwise be an issue with the usual large baffles they are put in
    Dunno where you saw that Tom. The foam strips around the cone are gaskets. The Golds were back mounted in their manufacturer's cabinets and the foam sealed them in. The foam became redundant with the front mounted HPD's, but was retained as the alloy channel that holds the strips is what held the cone surrounds in place. No doubt the foam was kept to hide the screw heads.

I'm Grant.

probably will help with diffraction tho, even if it wasnt made for purpose
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Dunno where you saw that Tom. The foam strips around the cone are gaskets. The Golds were back mounted in their manufacturer's cabinets and the foam sealed them in. The foam became redundant with the front mounted HPD's, but was retained as the alloy channel that holds the strips is what held the cone surrounds in place. No doubt the foam was kept to hide the screw heads.
    No I've definitely seen this discussed. And I don't believe it was about the screw heads on the HPD.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Wouldn't the loudspeaker designs that have small(ish drivers on a tall narrow front, and large woofers on the sides not potentially provide all the required qualities? i.e. narrow front for less edge dispersion (so better imaging) combined with bass units in a wide baffle for deep bass and slam?

In theory this design should have all the qualities that everyone posting on this thread seems to want.

If I'm being a bit naïve be kind to me, I don't normally post on anything technical, due to a paucity of required grey matter
    There's something about having big drivers facing you. Try standing in front of some large JBL's pumping out some slamming bass, then turn them round to face backwards and try again, somehow the gut punching impact will not be there!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    No I've definitely seen this discussed. And I don't believe it was about the screw heads on the HPD.
    The alloy channels and foam strips on the HPD's are identical to those on the Golds. And the foam definitely covers the screws in both. Of course the foam may have been retained so that Gold users could 'upgrade' their cabinets to HPD's. This may have been desirable for the professional Tannoy market. Those using Lockwood cabinets and others. Tannoy were selling a lot of drivers for studio use and the like back then.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There's something about having big drivers facing you. Try standing in front of some large JBL's pumping out some slamming bass, then turn them round to face backwards and try again, somehow the gut punching impact will not be there!!
    Of course Geoff, I'd forgotten about that, and I know what you mean, from times when I've been stood in front of a stack at a gig. When you step out of their 'firing line' that 'slam' is greatly reduced.

I seem to have heard positive mentions of JBL's a few times lately, and I remember the credits for 'The Tube' in the 80's used to include Entec/JBL, which at the time I imagined would sound pretty cool. Never heard any, but hope to one day.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

I'd say, size for size Tannoys and JBL's have similar 'wallop'. Being in front of BIG Altecs being given some wellie is an impressive experience too!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Jim,

No I haven't. I'm aware of them, but haven't heard them. I'd certainly listen to the Blades with an open mind, but I doubt they'd be my thing. You never know, though!

Marco.
    I must admit Marco they certainly don't look conventional and give you no idea what they are going to sound like when you are presented with a small point source speaker on the front. I have spent many many hours in front of them and they are simply awesome but they should be for £25,000!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast