+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chester Hifi Show 2018

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I bet they are better than Marcos. Much, much, much better (spot the wind up). Still, til Marco gets the balls to go see you... and get his heart broken, he will never know.
    Ha - aye, I'm defo the shy, easily heartbroken type!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ha - aye, I'm defo the shy, easily heartbroken type!

Marco.
    And the sweetest with it

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Not yet ... but to be honest the wee STA25 does a remarkably good job with its 35 watts. I have been in contact with Will and have even booked a weekend in (hopefully by that time) sunny North Cornwall to pick it up.
    The 50 Watts of my Bill Beard defo kept them awake.

Even Kedar liked your Tannoys. That's high praise. He kept saying Tannoys were crap before his visit. Now he knows not all are

I'm gone.

Chalk & Cheese, what Marco's Tannoys and Tom's do, I think. Very different, imo.
    I've heard the same "model" Tannoy as Tom has round at Paul RFC's place and heard Marco's wee beasties at Scallyford.

No way can Tom's pump da bass out like Marco's.
    And dare I say that Tom's can do things with delicacy that Marco isn't interested in?

I very much doubt either would swap for the other's.

I'm Justin.

I reckon Tom's Tannoys are really good with plinky plonky stuff he likes to listen to, and very capable of presenting not so great recordings in a favourable manner.

That makes them good with classical I think, and as I said to Tom, so many classical recordings are sonically compromised, with the variation in SQ being wider than any other genre.

Unfortunately I rate my speakers as pretty dreadful with classical for use with average to poor recordings. They just tell it like it is as far as they are concerned. And it isn't flattering. For that reason if I was into classical I wouldn't touch them with a barge poll.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Chalk & Cheese, what Marco's Tannoys and Tom's do, I think. Very different, imo.
    I've heard the same "model" Tannoy as Tom has round at Paul RFC's place and heard Marco's wee beasties at Scallyford.

No way can Tom's pump da bass out like Marco's.
    And dare I say that Tom's can do things with delicacy that Marco isn't interested in?

I very much doubt either would swap for the other's.
    That's most likely how things would pan out, Jerry: both speakers would have their respective strengths and weaknesses

The reality could well be that Tom's do things with delicacy that mine don't do, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want them to..... I would. Or for that matter that Tom wouldn't want his to do bass like mine (if either were possible). That's the point.

I can't speak for Tom, but the sheer diversity of my musical tastes (as other than 'yee-hah' country music, there is literally NOTHING I won't listen to), demands that my system (and speakers) must 'do justice to delicacy' as well as excelling at slam - and to my ears, and those of others who've heard them, they do.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

What's the cone size on yours, Marco?

15", mate.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    15", mate.

Marco.
    Respect, bro. Should shift some air - more than Tom's - and go lower. As I think Jerry was saying.

Churz... I don't really want this turning into a game of loudspeaker 'top trumps', though, as that's not what it's about.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast