+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chester Hifi Show 2018

I'm Neil.

Default Chester Hifi Show 2018

Not sure if anyone else made it along, but my pics and thoughts at the link below.

Lots of Naim partnered with Focal, Kudos, Russell K and more. Also Dynaudio, Auralic, ATC, Hegel, Proj-ject and more.

https://audiophilemusings.blogspot.c...pril-2018.html

I'm Deleted.

Good report - thanks for sharing .
    Account Deleted

I'm Phil.

thanks neil as ever ,
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm George.

Nice write up.

I agree that Naim and expensive Focal just do not work and the cheaper Focals or Kudos work far, far better. I know the business arrangement but it letting down the electronics side of things. Hey ho, a strange world. As Naim becomes far more civilised they spoil it with aggressive speakers. Same with B&W speakers.

I'm Mike.

Reading that, I'm sure a lot of people are glad they didn't bother attending, 1000s of £'s of kit that sounded crap ( mostly )

I'm Ben.

We (wife & I) went along to the Acoustica show on Sunday morning, I must admit I wasn't expecting much but even so came away fairly despondent about the whole thing.

It started off well as I thought the Hotel venue was very good, plenty of parking for attendees and inside it was plush and modern which was nice. The rooms were arranged mainly on the ground floor and though most were large double bedroom size there were at least a couple of much bigger function rooms being used as well (a large room using naim amps & some hefty B&W speakers and again another probably bigger room using naim and some Focal Utopia speakers maybe)

I have a couple of main gripes with the whole thing such as the following

1. The choice of music throughout was awful. I know music is a personal thing but jesus just play something that puts a smile on people faces as opposed to some perceived audiophile rubbish.

2. At one point (we were the only people in the room at this stage) I asked for a certain track to be played, the salesman said "yes that's going on next" and then proceeded to ignore me, faff about changing some leads and then play some thing completely different despite my request. The wife and I looked at each other then left the room thinking what's the point.

3. Despite the costs of everything (in some cases up to £100K in one room) I didn't hear a single thing that really made me think "WOW", in most cases I'm sure this was down to what was being played but seriously they must be able to do better than this??

4. The show was really only focused on streaming & streamers and I only saw 1 project TT in the whole event. This was backed up by a very poor selection of new "audiophile pressing" vinyl on sale which took about 5 minutes to look through. Maybe this was down to the choice of Naim for amplification, do they do much in the way of Turntables & phonostages?

4. My overriding impression as we left was that it felt to me like perhaps what it was. An event to sell (very) expensive hi-fi to mainly middle class men fast approaching middle age or retirement who feel like they must have "a serious stereo". I actually overheard a loud conversation in which a man was discussing the poor reliability of his Ferrari and how he expects better from his hifi" - first world problems eh?!

Probably fair to say that I wont bother attending the event next year
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    Nice write up.

I agree that Naim and expensive Focal just do not work and the cheaper Focals or Kudos work far, far better. I know the business arrangement but it letting down the electronics side of things. Hey ho, a strange world. As Naim becomes far more civilised they spoil it with aggressive speakers. Same with B&W speakers.
    What exactly is an 'aggressive speaker'?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Glad I didn't attend after your points Ben.
    Mind you with your kit list I don't suppose you have any problem getting a great sound at home.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Glad I didn't attend after your points Ben.
    Mind you with your kit list I don't suppose you have any problem getting a great sound at home.
    Id have been even more annoyed if i'd have travelled a long way for it but thankfully I was only 30 mins away. I'm still in shock about the price of some of the kit displayed compared to the actual sounds heard......makes me feel even better about my stuff
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What exactly is an 'aggressive speaker'?
    Ian paisley?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast