+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rothwell Attenuators

I'm Dave.

Default Rothwell Attenuators

A few weeks ago I realised that I had too much gain in my system as I couldn't get the volume control on my preamp much above 9 o'clock without causing hearing damage. It was something I'd just not really thought about until I stumbled across an old review of the Rothwell Attenuators in a back issue of HiFi+.

I remembered reading about these years ago and the improvements they could make by allowing you to use your volume control around the 12 o'clock where they generally sound better. So I decided to give a pair of these a try. They're usually £39 a pair but I was lucky and found some on ebay which I got for about half price. This had the added benefit of them already being burnt in.

I installed these last night in between my Caiman DAC and my passive "preamp". I'm happy to say they that they definitely made an improvement in my system. I'm now able to set the volume control at 12 o'clock to achieve my preferred listening level with most music. This has improved the sound stage a little and made the volume control much less "jumpy". What I mean by jumpy is that as the pot is logarithmic and I'm now using it higher up it's range, small movements to the dial only make small changes to the actual volume. Before it was sometimes difficult to get the volume just right via the remote as it jumped a bit too far. Also, the fact that I'm only attenuating one input on my preamp means that the other inputs are unaffected. So I'll be able to use another input for my phono stage which will already have a lower output voltage than my DAC.

The build quality on these devices is very nice and they're very easy to install. I've also not noticed any reduction in sound quality which was something I was a little worried about seen as they're an extra obstacle for the audio signal. I guess they must cause a slight reduction in sound quality but it must be extremely small.

So overall these little widgets have made quite a substantial improvement to the level of enjoyment I can get from my system, so they were definitely worth 20 quid and are still quite reasonable at £40. I'd certainly recommend them to anyone suffering from excess gain.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm David.

Paul (primalsea) makes his own version too... i use his within my system when i want a bit more control over the stepped attenuator... the difference in sound quality is not noticeable as far as i can tell in my system (although it is quite hard to tell with such vast differences in volume)
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm notAlone.

Nice review Dave.

I'll get a pair of these for testing, I think. Thanks you two.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Rockabilly.

You may also wish to experiment with Goldenjacks attenuators.

Scoot over here:

http://www.goldenjacks.com/

Iain, the person who builds these, made a pair to my specification at a fair price. The quality of work was of a high standard. I have no connection with the company or individual.

I've had excellent results using them to match genuine line level outputs (at a healthy 775mV) to equipment with input sensitivities below 100mV, particularly common on vintage gear.

As an aside, perhaps Haselsh1 would benefit from in-line attenuation before his Croft Micro Basic pre? He often says that he suffers from not having unity gain in his system.
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm joe.

i've got a pair of Rothwell attenuators sat in a drawer unused (I had the power amp sensitivity adjusted recently so don't need the attenuators any more).

I'm happy to let these go for a charity donation, so anyone interested please PM me and the first to respond secures them.

I'm ChrisB.

Dave,
    I don't know if you've done it, but it may pay to try placing them in all the possible different locations to find which sounds best. I used to use 20dB pads in a pre-power amp link & they were infinitely better at the power amp end.
    The way I see it, you have several possible places you could put these in your set up.

Caiman output
    Pre input
    Pre output
    Power input

Try them all & keep your ears open for rolled-off treble.

I'm Steve.

These look like a good option for me actually. The volume of my M3 is always right at the bottom end and getting the subtle adjustments right with the remote is a pain.

should be easy to fit as the pre and power sections are actually connected internally with actual phone cables (short ones) so I can insert them before the power amp section and benefit on all sources.

Actually I think I'll get Mark Grant to make me a couple of mini GHDs....
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm joe.

Rothwells have now been snapped up!

Cheers

Joe

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by camtwister View Post
    You may also wish to experiment with Goldenjacks attenuators.

Scoot over here:

http://www.goldenjacks.com/

Iain, the person who builds these, made a pair to my specification at a fair price. The quality of work was of a high standard. I have no connection with the company or individual.

I've had excellent results using them to match genuine line level outputs (at a healthy 775mV) to equipment with input sensitivities below 100mV, particularly common on vintage gear.

As an aside, perhaps Haselsh1 would benefit from in-line attenuation before his Croft Micro Basic pre? He often says that he suffers from not having unity gain in his system.
    I agree totally with what you say but I am eventually going to send the preamp back to Glenn Croft to have the resistors changed. I would do it myself but it may never work again.

+ Reply to Thread