+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapest speaker options for BIG sound

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I had some Magisters a few years ago I reckon they could fulfil the requirements
    Yes. They do 'slam' rather well. Magisters have plenty of grunt and are a lot of fun, if not exactly tonally accurate and a bit zingy at the top. You have to watch the PVC skin on the bass cones, it has a habit of coming away from the paper beneath.

I'm Lawrence.

I thought these looked worth a punt:

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/mobil...&prodt=speaker

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

I know what you mean about a big sound with an efficient speaker and 12"+ driver. If you like what you heard at Cookys I think you have to buy a pair of those as that is the reason Cooky shelled out for them. I dont think that can be done on the cheap

I have some 12" drivers on some PA speakers and before you all poo poo the idea, they sound good at the lowish volumes I need. They do what only a 12" driver will do and are highly efficient compared to many small box speakers. I use them to experiment with sound on a second output and as a backup for smaller speakers in that experimentation. You will be all scared that they sound brash but they dont really at controlled volumes with a good amp

A 7 litre Royd Coniston in a small to medium room is fine. I would like them more efficient on the db scale but I think they do offer a big sound with some juice through them. I must try some better amplifiers. The Minstrels put out incredible bass and you wonder where it comes from. A seven litre speaker with a controlled taut bass is fine as long as its not compensating with enhanced boom techniques. Royds do it brilliantly.

The main problem is the low efficiency of many speakers which need some juice through them. I like a 91db efficiency like the Monitor Audio 352s as long as you bung or semi bung that port

So I dont think there is a cheap way of getting what those big Tannoys do...thats why people search for and buy the Tannoys
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 16-04-2018 at 14:57.

I'm Martin.

Depends what you mean by 'cheap'. Tannoy Ardens are £7K bought new, I'm aiming to build some for £2K including the cost of drivers. £2K is not cheap by my standards but it is a lot cheaper than £7K.

Alternatives: As Martin says, there are not any. I've heard big JBLs embarrass some giant TAD speakers that were more than 4 times the price. The TADs are good speakers but they sounded like toys in comparison.

The Celestion A2 & A3 are pretty impressive, you can find them under a grand. And the Ditton 66 of course. But they don't really take you all the way there. Also depending on your room you might have issues whereas the Tannoy DC will work well in pretty much any space.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

I've got a pair of Kef 105.1 that sound as big as any Tannoys I ever owned. Different presentation and delivery, like Tannoys they aren't small and they are good, and they are much cheaper to buy.

As has been documented hereabouts I didn't get on (at all) with Tannoys in my system and much prefer AN-E, and the Kefs as well. They have their limitations like all speakers, but if visceral impact and scale are your bag then they will give you three bags full. Not 'efficient' however a10 Watt amp on them, in my 5x4 man cave, will get the neighbours complaining (good s/s watts preferable I believe, my SIT sounds good with them, but my little Lowther Jazz 6L6 sounds fantastic albeit at more modest volume!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm steve.

Default Cheapest speaker options for BIG sound

Q Acoustics 2050i’s best bang for the buck floor stander currently £269 delivered free direct from QA, 92db/w so don’t need much power either.
    https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-acous...kers-pair.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Q Acoustics 2050i’s best bang for the buck floor stander currently £269 delivered free direct from QA, 92db/w so don’t need much power either.
    https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-acous...kers-pair.html

what amp do you have with them Steve ?

I'm steve.

Default Cheapest speaker options for BIG sound

Quote Originally Posted by Michael loves music View Post
    what amp do you have with them Steve ?
    I haven’t got 2050i’s I have the 3050s but they are £549 so thought they might be too dear for the OP.
    I drive the 3050s with a Cambridge CXA60, never get the volume much past the 9 o’clock position with the high sensitivity, 2050i’s are similar in that respect.
    Both have been WHF award winners.

I'm Andy.

This was more the sort of speaker I envisaged people in search of a huge sound moving away from rather than towards. Small floorstanders with twin 6 1/2 in bass units won't produce the sort of scale you'd get from a big JBL or Tannoy.

I'm Geoff.

I've produced weight, slam and scale from two paralled five and a half inch drivers.

But that was in huge, constant width, folded back loaded horn cabinets!

(wish I still had photos)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast