+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapest speaker options for BIG sound

I'm Andy.

I said in the OP that the inspiration for the thread was the big Tannoys and JBLs Macca and Marco heard at Cooky's. The idea was to see if that scale of sound was available without spending thousands. Lots of good things come from small speakers that pretend to be a bit bigger than they really are, but there are things they just can't do. Id say realistic dynamics are one of those things, along with realistic bass and high SPLs.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    Goodmans Magnums might do the job and are available for under £100 usually.
    Boxy sound though and in no way up there with Tannoys.

JBLs and Yammies are both a good call for speakers that can do scale, though the Yammies need the right amp to pull this off.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I mean the type of sound you get from big JBls Tannoys etc. Realistic levels of bass and dynamics as well as high SPls
    These will definitely do all that. Those are 12" bass drivers and ABR's!

I'm Chris.

Leak Sandwiches? No problem with surround decay. And can sound pretty big!

(Not as big as those Celestions pictured though!Transmission Line speakers good too)
    Chris.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I said in the OP that the inspiration for the thread was the big Tannoys and JBLs Macca and Marco heard at Cooky's. The idea was to see if that scale of sound was available without spending thousands. Lots of good things come from small speakers that pretend to be a bit bigger than they really are, but there are things they just can't do. Id say realistic dynamics are one of those things, along with realistic bass and high SPLs.
    Your question is unanswerable because of your two qualifiers.

You say usually associated with and affordable. Clearly in this context the qualifiers are mutually exclusive! You simpy cannot get Tannoy and JBL bass quality on a mini-speaker budget. I offered a suggestion for an affordable speaker that conveys an impression of scale by not pretending to do bass only dynamics and speed!

Bigman80 Guest

Personally, I think the biggest bargain I've ever bagged was my Pioneer CS-77A speakers. Scale, dynamics, speed and heft. They have it all. True 4 way design and best of all, they sound sublime. They have been likened by those who've heard them to Yammy NS1000m with their clean and resolving presentation. Personally, I think these are a bit sweeter than the yammies but I haven't done a A/B. They move air in a big way and they go very very low. If you can find a pair in the UK (very rare) I'd suggest grabbing them. Loads of spares available in the USA too.

I'm Mike.

I moved from PMC 21 standmounts with 5.5" drivers which were really good, BUT then I bought Tannoy Berkeleys with 15" drivers and absolutely no comparison in weight of sound and dynamics.

If like me you prefer your music to really fill the room and you can feel the music but can also pick out the detail then you'd like the sound I'm getting

Small speakers are good at what they do but for me who likes live music the Tannoys trounce the PMC's I had.

I'm currently listening to Journeyscapes radio channel at about 9m away from the speakers, ok I've got the volume well up but I still have a wee chuckle to myself that it sounds so good, even with a 320kbps internet stream

Mind you I've maybe set myself up for a fall as I have a demo of my kit to two friends this week and they might tell me it's crap

If they do, well there will be no Cake

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Your question is unanswerable because of your two qualifiers.

You say usually associated with and affordable. Clearly in this context the qualifiers are mutually exclusive! You simpy cannot get Tannoy and JBL bass quality on a mini-speaker budget. I offered a suggestion for an affordable speaker that conveys an impression of scale by not pretending to do bass only dynamics and speed!
    Does anyone else get this? I don't seem to have used the term "usually associated with" anyway, but even if I did, the qualities of a massive, dynamic sound with high SPLs and plenty bass delivered from big drivers seems to be appearing in other people's suggestions. I didn't start the thread looking for an argument so im a bit perplexed TBH. I even asked if I was asking for the impossible. Lots of you seem to think the answer to that is "no".

I'm currently using Isobariks so I get a reasonable scale anyway. I'm more interested in learning about "sleeper" bargains for myself in the future and also others who may want to scratch a similar itch without spending big JBL or Tannoy money.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    These will definitely do all that. Those are 12" bass drivers and ABR's!

Yip, those would be perfect, nearly bought some myself before I found my Tannoys

I'm Phil.

Would adding a subwoofer give smaller speakers a larger sound? Seems to me that one of the defining values of whether a speaker sounds large or not, is more accurate bass reproduction. I know there’s more to it than bass, as has as been said above a small speaker can sound large and my Spendor’s do the same, handling of ambience is definitely another factor.
    Last edited by PhilofCas; 15-04-2018 at 16:02.
    CCA, Sony TA FB940R, Spendor S3/5r2.
    Quad 306, Tisbury, Rega Apollo CD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast