+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapest speaker options for BIG sound

I'm Timothy.

I don’t know about your budget, but I would say keep an eye out for some used Heco Direkt speakers, good sound, dynamic etc. FWIW.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Andy.

I've seen those. They look to be a helluva lot of speaker for the money. I can imagine them being an even bigger bargain used. I didn't set any budget because I wasn't just asking for myself. It was more to get some general suggestions for speakers with a large scale sound with realistic bass and dynamics for hundreds rather than thousands.

I think it's a pity that lots of people today may only get to hear small bookshelf speakers or slim floorstanders with a pair of 4 inch drivers. Taking a punt on big Tannoys isn't always viable or possible , especially when you've never experienced what a big speaker can do. I had hoped the thread would flag up some bargains for anyone wanting to try a bigger speaker, including myself in the future. So far there have been a good few suggestions I wouldn't have thougt of, so I hope it's of interest to others too.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilofCas View Post
    Would adding a subwoofer give smaller speakers a larger sound? Seems to me that one of the defining values of whether a speaker sounds large for not, is more accurate bass reproduction. I know there’s more to it than bass, as has as been said above a small speaker can sound large and my Spendor’s do the same, handling of ambience is definitely another factor.
    It's a great question. I have had two (REL) subwoofers myself and really liked the scale. As good as My Isobariks but perhaps a bit different. The thing is, I haven't heard big Tannoys or JBLS so I am as interested as you are as to whether they produce more scale, dynamics, SPLs etc than a standmounters with sub. I guess we will need to hear from a big speaker enthusiast who has also tried subs.

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I moved from PMC 21 standmounts with 5.5" drivers which were really good, BUT then I bought Tannoy Berkeleys with 15" drivers and absolutely no comparison in weight of sound and dynamics.

If like me you prefer your music to really fill the room and you can feel the music but can also pick out the detail then you'd like the sound I'm getting

Small speakers are good at what they do but for me who likes live music the Tannoys trounce the PMC's I had.

I'm currently listening to Journeyscapes radio channel at about 9m away from the speakers, ok I've got the volume well up but I still have a wee chuckle to myself that it sounds so good, even with a 320kbps internet stream

Mind you I've maybe set myself up for a fall as I have a demo of my kit to two friends this week and they might tell me it's crap

If they do, well there will be no Cake
    Canny see it!!!

Yer big tannoys sounded sublime last time i was over-looking forward to hearing the tubes driving them.

Cake munching very much on the cards!!!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    It's a great question. I have had two (REL) subwoofers myself and really liked the scale. As good as My Isobariks but perhaps a bit different. The thing is, I haven't heard big Tannoys or JBLS so I am as interested as you are as to whether they produce more scale, dynamics, SPLs etc than a standmounters with sub. I guess we will need to hear from a big speaker enthusiast who has also tried subs.
    Have had standmounts with with a couple of 15in Ruark subs (way back in the mists ...) Tannoys are room-filling in a different way - I'd rather enjoy that all-enveloping, phase-coherent dual concentric sound from Tannoys with 5hz less on bottom end extension, than standmounts with subs and a little bit extra depth. That's not to nay-say it as an approach it can sound very satisfying - just expressing a preference.

I'm Geoff.

I've never heard smaller speakers with subwoofers make a sound I actually like, at least in a domestic setting. You get the bass depth and weight, but somehow the SLAM is not there. And yes, I have tried a few subs and heard plenty others. I even tried one with my Tannoy Cheviots, that was just silly and I stayed with it for about ten minutes.

Of course there are set-ups that can deliver, like this from Avant Garde (But, cheap it ain't!) The big silver thingy is a set of bass horns.

This lot is huge. Twice as big in the flesh than it looks in the picture.

I'm Andy.

Very well described. I can get what you are saying and it's what I suspected but wouldn't have been able to put into words.

I'm Geoff.

I certainly wasn't trying to be argumentative, but did intend to express strongly that I don't think it is possible to achieve what you are looking for at a low price, unless you happen to come across a second hand item where the seller does not appreciate the market value.

Yes, DC Tannoys are great and shift air effortlessly with the right amp. I personally, have heard few two- way systems that sound better (overall) for the addition of a sub-woofer. I am guessing that this is down to timing and coherence issues.

I do own some "smallish" speakers that do sound "big" though they are what I would describe as "good value" but certainly not cheap.

Perhaps, the cheapest speakers I have ever heard that really sounded "big" were a home built pair of open baffles. This was in a huge lounge with plenty of space all around. I can't be certain of the driver as it was a long time ago but it was at least a 12" dual concentric full-range driver (possibly german). The frame was pretty large and superbly make using marine grade plywood. IIRC, the whole thing cost abut £500 to make, not including the time of the maker. Of course, once you start to look at traditional designs such as big DC Tannoys, the cost of cabinet manufacture drives costs up exponentially.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've never heard smaller speakers with subwoofers make a sound I actually like, at least in a domestic setting. You get the bass depth and weight, but somehow the SLAM is not there. And yes, I have tried a few subs and heard plenty others. I even tried one with my Tannoy Cheviots, that was just silly and I stayed with it for about ten minutes.

Of course there are set-ups that can deliver, like this from Avant Garde (But, cheap it ain't!) The big silver thingy is a set of bass horns.

This lot is huge. Twice as big in the flesh than it looks in the picture.
    So that's where my hot tub and bidet sets went!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    Goodmans Magnums might do the job and are available for under £100 usually.
    I had some Magisters a few years ago I reckon they could fulfil the requirements. Replace the capacitors and stick a supertweeter on top and they'll sound more refined too.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast