+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest speaker options for BIG sound

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've produced weight, slam and scale from two paralled five and a half inch drivers.

But that was in huge, constant width, folded back loaded horn cabinets!

(wish I still had photos)
    I was just about to ask! Impulse H2s sounded huge but I haven't heard many other horns. Probably not gonna be under 4 figures these days though but I live in hope.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    This was more the sort of speaker I envisaged people in search of a huge sound moving away from rather than towards. Small floorstanders with twin 6 1/2 in bass units won't produce the sort of scale you'd get from a big JBL or Tannoy.
    You might be surprised, you obviously haven't heard any 3050s, I use them for HC as well as music and they are extremely capable. Getting a big sound as such is very room dependent, in a large room you don't necessarily need big speakers with big drivers to achieve it. Scale quite often comes down to sheer bass extension and the ability to shift air, my 3050s are flat to below 40hz with only a gentle roll off from there down to the cutoff frequency in my living room at 28hz, in a larger room they may go lower still.
    My second tier system speakers, Jordan Eikona 2 VTLs are also capable of a big sound with only a 4" driver, admittedly with the help of a transmission line cabinet, they go almost as low as the 3050s but the small driver does limit maximum volume somewhat although they certainly have enough volume for an average to large living room unless you're a rock music loving headbanger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Matthew.

You could try some Cadence if you ever see them. Great sound from my Amayas for the price (sold em now though!).

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    You might be surprised, you obviously haven't heard any 3050s, I use them for HC as well as music and they are extremely capable. Getting a big sound as such is very room dependent, in a large room you don't necessarily need big speakers with big drivers to achieve it. Scale quite often comes down to sheer bass extension and the ability to shift air, my 3050s are flat to below 40hz with only a gentle roll off from there down to the cutoff frequency in my living room at 28hz, in a larger room they may go lower still.
    My second tier system speakers, Jordan Eikona 2 VTLs are also capable of a big sound with only a 4" driver, admittedly with the help of a transmission line cabinet, they go almost as low as the 3050s but the small driver does limit maximum volume somewhat although they certainly have enough volume for an average to large living room unless you're a rock music loving headbanger
    I'm just wondering if you have heard any large Tannoy dual concentrics or JBLs?

I'm currently using some JM Labs speakers which are considerably larger and generally more accomplished than the Q acoustic 3050 and they still sound like toys compared to the Tannoys or gerbils. It's a whole different ballgame.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I'm currently using some JM Labs speakers which are considerably larger and generally more accomplished than the Q acoustic 3050 and they still sound like toys compared to the Tannoys or gerbils. It's a whole different ballgame.
    It's a long time since I heard any big Tannoys, if memory serves me I thought they were pretty horrendous at the time, not very well controlled and very coloured in the midrange. I don't tend to consider very big speakers as I just don't have the room for them, the 3050s are about as big as I can accommodate.

I'm Grant.

It's a long time since I heard any big Tannoys, if memory serves me I thought they were pretty horrendous at the time, not very well controlled and very coloured in the midrange. I don't tend to consider very big speakers as I just don't have the room for them, the 3050s are about as big as I can accommodate.

you get bad versions, and others that require attention. but when sorted they are hard to beat if thats the sound your after.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

I was thinking that myself when I read the post. There's not a 4in driver in the world can get anywhere close to filling a room like 12 or 15in DC Tannoys. (Well maybe if you used a stack of 5-6 of them each side and even then ...). It's not about bass extension in the least. Some models of LV can go to 30hz but for all their ability with detail just sound weedy and pathetic compared to big Tannoys (or indeed, to the larger 'gerbils'!). Cat coffins don't cut it!

(IMHO, YMMV etc).

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I was just about to ask! Impulse H2s sounded huge but I haven't heard many other horns. Probably not gonna be under 4 figures these days though but I live in hope.
    ha , i bought some impulse ta`us recently for just over half that and man.....they sound BIG ....... compared to my rienzis pictured

IMG_0194 by , on Flickr

P1060106 by , on Flickr
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

Yep, I have also heard big Tannoys sounding terrible and if that had been my only experience I wouldn't give them a second thought either. But there is a world of difference between some vintage Lancasters that have not been touched since they were built in 1970 and a properly sorted set in well-constructed cabs. I was at Scalford in 2012 when they had examples of both and it was educational.

Regarding the space, you can put the big Tannoys in a tiny room, jammed up into the corners and they will work perfectly well. Whereas I'm guessing the 3050 will need at least a little space around them so as not to sound a little boomy or thick. So in practice they will take up about the same amount of room. Big JBLs, on the other hand, do need a bit of space.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm steve.

Yep, I have also heard big Tannoys sounding terrible and if that had been my only experience I wouldn't give them a second thought either. But there is a world of difference between some vintage Lancasters that have not been touched since they were built in 1970 and a properly sorted set in well-constructed cabs. I was at Scalford in 2012 when they had examples of both and it was educational.

Regarding the space, you can put the big Tannoys in a tiny room, jammed up into the corners and they will work perfectly well. Whereas I'm guessing the 3050 will need at least a little space around them so as not to sound a little boomy or thick. So in practice they will take up about the same amount of room. Big JBLs, on the other hand, do need a bit of space.
    The 3050s do need a bit of space but even in non ideal positions they never sound boomy or thick just a little weightier, QA supply soft foam bungs for the ports which do work quite well provided you only push them in slightly, personally that takes a bit too much off the very low end for my liking.
    I’ve “tuned” my ports with bungs made from compacted drinking straws which gives a lighter resistive loading than the foam which works perfectly in my room, it doesn’t affect extension but it makes the bass tighter and just reduces the level a little, took a bit of work but the result is perfect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast